Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hormones and Timers

Hormones and Timers
Sue Donaldson

Our stove timer is hormonal. It’s so sensitive. You lean ever so slightly against the front of the stove, and off it goes, startling any unsuspecting cook. (Hey, I didn’t mean to touch you. Give it a rest!) It’s so stubborn. You set it, hoping it goes off in 12 minutes. Returning to the smell of burnt cookies, you see it was stuck at five minutes to the hour, refusing to budge. It’s so cavalier. You never know when it will decide to work. I have returned from all–day errands to the sound of the timer finally sounding its annoying and very late reminder. It needs its own timer. When I’m thinking properly, I also set my microwave timer. And if I’m very smart, I set my Pampered Chef timer and clip it on my shirt. I’m not always thinking. I’m not always smart.

I can relate to my timer.

I, too, am hormonal (at times, overly sensitive, stubborn, sounding off with unreliable outbursts, startling unsuspecting family members – Be careful. . .here comes mom. . .) Maybe you have your own list. I told my prayer buddettes yesterday that I was feeling blue and I thought it was hormonal. They all nodded their heads, commiserating. (That’s what buddettes are for—sympathetic nodding.) But, I wanted to set a timer on my mood. Laurie Potratz said, “Limit the time you feel sorry for yourself.”

That’s good advice. Go ahead and have your pity party- but set the timer! (don’t use the one on my stove – you could end up crying all day. . . ) When it goes off, get over it. Pass on the pity and go for the praise. Excuse me a moment. I need to go find my Pampered Chef timer.

Here’s a bit of David’s pity party: “My strength fails . . . I am in anguish . . . I am a dread to my friends. . . I am forgotten. . .”

And, here’s the time limit he set: “But I trust in You, O Lord, You are my God, my times are in Your hands. . .Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” (Psalm 31)

Lord,

I’m blue. I am feeling a little sorry for myself. No particular reason – okay, maybe some reasons are a tiny bit legitimate-- but not in light of the burdens of the world. I want to set a time limit on my groaning and grousing. Actually, I think I just did. Thanks. sue

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From one hormonal tempermental timer to another - thank you so much for sharing this truth. What an awesome friend and sister you are to not only understand, but share your own experiences and how God desires for us to live in/with these bodies/minds/hormones that He designed for us. I guess the directions are included :) Megan.