Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Needing Any Help, Lord?

Needing Any Help, Lord?

By Sue Donaldson

I keep thinking God needs my help.

I mean, I must think that. Why else would I open my mouth (just a little)

one more time (just in case . . .)

to expedite things (just a bit . . .)?

You’ve heard of the spiritual disciplines – meditating, fasting, praying, etc. I think the hardest discipline is: TRUSTING (without offering my help.)

It takes discipline for me to trust God. To give Him that which bothers me, hurts me, worries me.

I can whip out that familiar childhood verse: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding and He shall direct your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5,6) But the words can glide right past my tongue and miss my heart altogether. After all, the verse must really say: “Trust in the Lord and then help Him out a little and then He will make it all come out just the way we wanted . . .” – right?

Who am I trusting . . .

. . .when I fret? (What if she never gets a job? a husband? a house?)

. . .when I nag? (I’ll just mention this one more time to Mark, just in case he didn’t quite get it.)

. . .when I care about what others are thinking? (Let me set her straight on this and then she’ll finally understand me.)

. . .when I stew? (I’ll figure out what’s best for her and then let her know—in a loving way, of course.)

Who am I trusting? Let’s see. That would be me.

Fretting, worrying, stewing, defending, nagging does not equal trusting the God of the universe or the Lord of my heart. I need His help--not the other way around.

Prayer for Tuesday (and everyday) ~

“Lord God,

Thank You for Proverbs 3:5 and 6. You are trustworthy. I just forget.

Thank You for Your grace. I know You’ve forgiven me already.

When I stew and fret and worry and nag, may I remember You don’t need my help. You just want my heart, wholly leaning on You.

Trusting (in part, for now) and grateful (you don’t need my help.) Sue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Trust in the Lord and then help Him out a little..." Sounds like we have the same New American All-About-Me Standard Bibles! But seriously, thank you for reminding me that God does not need my help, He just wants my heart.

suedonaldson said...

Love that, Penny! It's probably more like "Old American or Old Human Condition All About Me Bible"!