Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Too Much to Handle

TOO MUCH TO HANDLE

by Debbi Weeks

I heard it again, just this week. Someone said, “I know God won’t give me more than I can handle.” It’s always bothered me to hear someone say that. Maybe it’s because I don’t see that principle in scripture, but more than likely it’s because I haven’t seen it played out in my life – in fact, I see just the opposite in my life. I am consistently given more than I can handle. Pastor Tim likes to say that he’s in over his head. In scripture, I’m reminded of Joseph…and Moses…and Mary, the mother of Jesus…and many, many others in its pages who were given way more than they could handle.

What I learn from these examples is that I think God’s favorite place for us to be is where we have more than we can handle. In that place we recognize we are fully reliant on Him. Sometimes we need to be in over our heads before we recognize it and God loves that. In fact, He orchestrates our lives for us to be in the place where we can’t handle it, because He doesn’t want us to handle it anyway. He is a sovereign God that brings circumstances into our lives that force us to our knees and to cling to Him.

Consider what 2 Corinthians 4:7-10 has to say, “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.” NASB Pastor Tim might add, “I am under water, but I have not drowned.” J

The Believer’s Bible Commentary says this about these verses, “We may wonder why the Lord allowed His servant to go through such testings and trials. We would think that he could have served the Lord more efficiently if He had allowed his pathway to be free from troubles. But this Scripture teaches the very opposite. God, in His marvelous wisdom, sees fit to allow His servants to be touched by sickness, sorrow, affliction, persecution, difficulties, and distresses. All are designed to break the earthen pitchers so that the light of the gospel might shine out more clearly.”

So, we’re given too much, but not too, too much. God is there making us reliant on Him. He gives me too much for me to handle, but not too much for Him to handle through me. The balance comes from Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” – And, I can only do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Father God, Praise You for Your sovereign plan in giving more than I can handle.

Forgive me for my arrogant thinking when I think that I could somehow handle it on my own.

Thank you for loving me enough to make me completely dependent on You.

Please help me to remember that although I am afflicted, I am not crushed; that although perplexed, I am not despairing; that although persecuted I am not forsaken; and that although struck down, I am not destroyed. And above all, help me to live remembering that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

In Christ’s Name, Amen

2 comments:

joy said...

hi, debbi. that has always bother me, too. thanks for shedding light on it and pointing out the truth. i always appreciate your wisdom!

Jason and Anna said...

I found another blog...yay! I'm totally guilty of using cliches...including this one. It's ture, we do nothing through our own strength, we are always in way over our head. I think the source of "God will never give me more than I can handle" is 1 Cor. 10:13..."No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it." Not that this matters. You're still right Debbi. I was just trying to figure out where we got this phrase from in the first place. Maybe some of you were wondering too! :-)