Monday, May 26, 2008

Reflections on Yosemite


Reflections on Yosemite

Peggy Brown

As I wandered around Yosemite last week, I was once again awestruck by the mighty mountains! If you’ve never been there, you have missed out. There they were rising above everything in grand majesty, with powerful waterfalls flowing down granite faces.

They looked as though they had been there from eternity past.

As we walked around, a verse that I had learned as a child kept running through my mind. Psalm 121:1-2 in the King James version.

“I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills; from whence cometh my help?

My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.”

Considering what I was seeing all around me, I found myself contemplating what a mighty God we have. It just didn’t seem enough to lift my eyes to the hills; it seemed like I should be encouraged to look to the mountains, large and powerful; the kind of mountains that God could stride over in one step to bring me my much needed help.

When I got home, I looked up the verses on my computer in the New American Standard Bible, and read this:

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come?

My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.

Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.

The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night.

The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.

The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.

Psalm 121:1-8

We have a God who will bring us help when we look for it. He doesn’t slumber or sleep. That is a PROMISE! The question is how big is your God? Is He big enough to stride over the mountains to catch you when your foot is about to slip? Is he mighty enough to protect you from ALL evil and keep your soul?

What is your view of God? Is it a hill view or a mountain view? Read over these verses several times. In fact, why don’t you write them on a card and memorize them? (Don’t tell me you can’t memorize…you know your address and phone number don’t you…what about your kid’s birthdays?) When those times come (and we all know they will) when you look for your help, the Word will remind you that you can lift up your eyes to the mountains and look for help from the Lord “who made heaven and earth.” He “will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever”!

Lord,

My view of you is so small. I want to fit you into my own box, and I want to see you work in my own ways. Help me to lift my eyes UP! Give me a heart to receive the help that you are waiting to send me. Enlarge my understanding to see that you are my keeper, that You will protect me from all evil. Thank you that you never sleep, but that You watch over me constantly. I love you. Amen

1 comment:

suedonaldson said...

Thank you, Peggy. I know just who to send this to! I always forget how big God is in light of my molehill griefs and problems. He is great! Thanks for this comfort.