Monday, September 22, 2008

Heart Renovation

by Peggy Brown


Wayne and I have been refurbishing a house over the last month. When it's done, our goal is to sell it. When we began, we had wonderful plans for what we wanted to do to update the place; laminate flooring throughout, Corian kitchen countertops, tile bathroom countertops, new light fixtures, new doorknobs on every door, new window coverings, and the list went on.

Then we began to price out each item! WOW! We were immediately at that place where reality met budget. Our plans obviously needed to be scaled back quite a lot in order to be able to pay for the project. Now, several weeks in, I can report that the house is shaping up nicely despite the scaling back. I think when it's all done it will be a perfect house for a small family. Maybe it will be their first home! I hope that they walk it and they just know this is the house for them! (Do you think I get too emotionally attached to these houses?)

This project got me thinking about a small tract that I read many years ago entitled My Heart Christ's Home. In it, the heart is likened to a home. When a visitor (Jesus) knocks on the door of the home, the owner invites Him in. The two wander through the home and the owner offers each room to Him for whatever use He might have for it. Jesus graciously accepts the offerings as they continue the tour. At the end they come to a back closet which is closed and locked. Jesus asks the man for the key to the closet, but His request is denied because of the closet's shameful condition...but Jesus, the man reminded Him, could have other square inch for His own. Christ was grieved with the man's choice. Of course the "moral" of the story was that if we give our heart to Jesus, it is not totally given to Him unless He has the key to every room, even though there may be some room that we are ashamed for Him to see.

I can really identify with that. I want Christ to have my whole life. All of it. But practically speaking, on a daily basis, there are "closets" that I keep the key to. Whether it's conscious, or just habit, I want to keep the clutter, it's comfortable. Maybe it's a sinful attitude I choose to harbor ("he/she really hurt my feelings, I deserve to be angry") or a sinful choice (I'd much rather watch that TV program than get up and work on my Bible Study). Maybe it's an area I'm ashamed for Him to see. (Like He doesn't know already?) I'm guessing if you are honest with yourself, you have one those "closets" your house too.

That would be like us leaving one bathroom in our fixer-upper as it was when the tenants moved out. The walls were spattered with unidentified stuff (did you know that gunk runs down the wall BEHIND the bathroom mirror?) there was pee on the floor (can I say that?), the door was all scratched up, the hinges were rusty and I could scratch soap scum off of the shower walls with my fingernail. Ick! Maybe I could just leave the door closed and locked and hope the prospective buyer wouldnt ask to see inside. That sure wouldn't be much of a selling point.

So, Christ has moved into my heart's "home". The thing is He wants to renovate the WHOLE thing, down to the last closet, cupboard, shelf and cubbyhole. Guess what? Christ is emotionally attached to my "home". He longs to make it the best, most attractive place possible, no criticism, just grace. The good news is He has no budget. He wants to put in top of the line everything! He can put in Corian...or even marble countertops in the kitchen AND the bathrooms! He is not offended or critical of the condition of my "home" when He moves in. He looks at each room and delights in the plans He has for it!

Some of the rooms may only need a coat of paint. Some rooms may need to be completely renovated, ceiling to floor. No matter what His plans, I know that He is the master renovator and that what He plans will be glorious! I know that I can rest in His hands and look forward to what He will accomplish in my "home". Not only that, when He is done, my heart home will be perfectly suited for the plans He has for it. It will be just the right place for Him to do His work in my world...my neighborhood, my church, my family. My home will draw people in and He will be there to meet them and minister to their needs!

Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Lord, Your plans for my heart's "home" are way beyond what I can comprehend. My desire is to cooperate with them. Help me to freely offer the key to each room to You when you ask for it. Please show me rooms, closets, cupboards, even shelves and cubbyholes that I am holding back from you! Help me to recognize that this is a process, not an event, and not become discouraged that it is taking time. Please make my life a place that draws people in and points them to You. Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put! Echoes the desire of my heart, too, that there would be no room for ME, but that He would fill every room in my heart with HIM.

suedonaldson said...

I do plan someday to write a retreat series on our remodeling project - I will invite you to share this, Peggy - get ready!

Peggy B. said...

Thanks for your comments. Sue, I also have a remodeling story similar (although not as extensive) to yours! Isn't it an interesting analogy to our spiritual lives? Sometimes, though, it is just a major cleaning project He wants to do, not a makeover.