Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Retreating for Rebirth

by Sue Donaldson

I spent the weekend with a group of great ladies from the desert. They wanted some ocean breezes so we met at the Ventura Harbor. Great times were had by all!

I’m sure it’s biblical to get away from the usual schedule, spend time laughing and crying and praying (and eating and shopping –okay, maybe that part isn’t biblical per se . . .) So refreshing! When’s the last time you did that?

I know, I know. It takes effort –planning ahead -- money – child care, perhaps. But, I was reminded once again – IT’S WORTH IT!

Once when I went off with the Grace ladies to Mt. Hermon, my dear husband had forgotten to change his call schedule. When I returned, I found out he had taken Bonnie Sue to the hospital with him – and she “entertained” the nurses by pulling everything off the carts. . .no, it’s not always easy to go on retreats. But it’s worth it.

I’m reminded of an elderly British gentleman who remarked to his wife when she asked him about attending a retreat. He said, “Go, my dear, go. Your heart is about due for a spot of rebirth.” Sweet and true. We need each other, girls, and we need to soak in the Word and laugh til our sides ache. How about it? Let’s make it happen.

Here are pics of some of my new best friends from Lancaster and Rosamund. We were part of each others’ “spot of rebirth.”



“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body, you were called to peace. Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.” (Colossians 3:15,16)

What better place to dwell richly and sing heartily than at the coast with Christian sisters – thank you and bless you, Wayside Chapel ladies!

Lord,
We might not get to a seaside retreat for awhile - in the meantime, give us “spots of rebirth” with others who love you. May we be an encouragement to each other. Amen.

PS

By the way, the Grace Ladies Salad Supper tonight was a bit of a retreat – sweet fellowship of all ages, great salads and desserts, Betsy sharing about the Jewish New Year and Lorraine encouraging us to not be afraid to mentor another who is just a “few steps behind us.” Definitely a spot of rebirth! Join us for the next one which is November 17, 6:30pm at Grace Church SLO.

1 comment:

Peggy B. said...

How great to see my dear daughter-in-love in the picture enjoying a "spot of rebirth"~ (being married to my son, I'm thinkin' she needs it)! ;-)
Isn't it wonderful that we women can get together, all ages and stages, and encourage and bless each other? I'm up for a seaside session!! Thanks Sue for sharing your gift with them...I know they were blessed! I'm sure I will reap a benefit as a side-effect!