Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"Martha, Martha..."

by Sue Donaldson

“Martha, Martha. . .” Luke 10:41

The Parable bookstore sold out of a plaque awhile back. It only had two words: “Martha, Martha.” I wish I had one – maybe Mary Grace can make one for me.

What do you think when you read those words? I usually think: “Oh, brother. I’m doing it again – serving, doing, cleaning, organizing, driving, talking (ad infinitum) – oh, even ministering – without the key element – sitting.”

Does that mean we have to always stop what we’re doing to sit at Jesus’ feet? I don’t think so. Maybe it’s an internal “sitting” even while at the sink or washer or counter. After all, Jesus is right there beside us. And mom’s chores can be acts of worship when offered to Him.

Even so, Jesus’ chiding always reminds me of this truth: good things can keep me from the best. How do we measure which is which? God only knows. When I sit still enough to listen, He’ll let me know.

Lord Jesus,
Thank you for Your patience. Help me choose best over good. And, help me listen up-- even while doing Martha-type things. Love, Sue

“Our first and foremost task is faithfully to care for the inward fire so that when it is really needed it can offer warmth and light to lost travelers.” – Henri Nouwen

No comments: