Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Obedience to His Call

by Debbi Weeks

I love testimonies! I love to hear how God has worked in someone’s life. Testimonies are always an encouragement to me.

One year, on the youth’s mission trip to Mexico, a student was called upon to share his testimony (we had all been prepared during our pre-trip meetings to share our testimony in three to five minutes). This young man began his story with “Well, my testimony is boring.” At this point Pastor Ken loudly and abruptly interrupted the student and said, “There is no such thing as a boring testimony! It is not boring that God, the Creator of the universe, would come down and die to save you. No testimony is boring!” I’ve long thought about Pastor Ken’s response – it is so true, our testimony isn’t even about us, but rather about all that God has done for us . . . and that’s never boring! We always need to be prepared to share the difference Christ has made. Who wouldn’t be encouraged by knowing all God has done?

Perhaps it’s because of my love of testimonies that I love biographies and autobiographies in particular. I could list about a hundred great books I’ve read about the life stories of people of faith.

This summer I enjoyed Things We Couldn’t Say by Diet Eman, a young woman who was involved in the Dutch Resistance during World War II. Oh my goodness, what God called this woman to and brought her through! It’s an amazing story – one of miracles, of hopes and dreams, of fear and desperation, of God’s hand in the midst of incomprehensible brutality and of her faithfulness to all that God had called her to, despite great personal sacrifice. It is so inspirational.

In the postscript of the book Ms. Eman writes, “To write a book about these difficult years was the last thing I wanted to do. I wanted to forget, and I even left the Netherlands after the war to do that . . . my conscience started to grow and it seemed that every time I opened the Bible something like ‘Tell the great things I have done’ stared me in the face.” I’m so thankful that Ms. Eman was once again obedient to what God called her to. Her story has made a difference in my life. Each of us has a story - a story of God’s work and faithfulness. God’s given you a story – you need to tell it!

I Peter 3:15

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

Father God, I praise You that You have a plan for each of our lives. I praise You that You know the beginning from the end.
I confess that I am not always bold in sharing my story. Please forgive me when I keep silent instead of sharing all that You have done for me.
Thank You for encouraging me through the testimonies of others. Thank You that not one of us has a boring testimony! Thank You for Diet Eman’s story of Your faithfulness.
Please help me to share the story You have given me and please help me to appreciate the story You have given others.

In Christ’s Love, Amen.


No comments: