Monday, May 18, 2009

The Majesty of God

by Peggy Brown

Well, a week in Yosemite can really focus your thoughts on the majesty of God! Close your eyes and picture the majestic granite rock walls towering high above you. Hear the sounds of the gentle breeze rustling the leaves on the trees, the river, swollen from melted snow, rushing through the valley, the squirrels scolding one another as they protect a bit of food and the birds chirping and squawking in the sky overhead. God seems so big and mighty in this place.


We were blessed with two new, amazing sights while we were there this year. One night we hiked up to the base of Yosemite falls where we saw a “moonbow”. The full moon shining on the mist, rising as the raging fall plunged into the pool below, created a bow (like a rainbow). It was ever so slightly rainbow colored, but mainly it was a silvery arch rising up over the pool. We were cold and wet from the mist, but we were awestruck!


The second sight was an actual rainbow. While we stood looking at Bridalveil Fall from across the valley, the sinking afternoon sun struck the mist at the bottom of the fall. There, where it looked like the trees were sitting at the bottom of the fall, color spread in the mist over the tops of the trees. Orange began to rise up the waterfall bringing behind it yellow, then green, followed by blue and finally purple. The colors kept rising fluidly up the fall as the mists were blown side to side by the wind, until finally it disappeared. It disolved, one color following the other until only purple remained momentarily and then faded away.


Every now and then it is good to take time to contemplate our God in ways that take our breath away. I could not see this wonder without thanking God for being bigger than I am, for knowing more than I do and for being in charge of my life, my family’s life, and even our world. The reminder that nothing comes to us without first coming through His loving, all-powerful hand is a comfort and a reassurance.


Isaiah 55:8-11 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.


Dear Father, You are a mighty God. You rule over all the earth in ways I cannot even imagine. Thank you. Increase my faith as I see You in new ways. Help me to trust You more with every detail of my life.

Amen





No comments: