Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Prepared By Grace

by Sue Donaldson

I’ve been lifted by grace this past week. I guess I always am, but some weeks I call out for it more, need it more, and rest in it more. (And, my friends hear about it more!) My year’s verse—John 15:5 – is all about abiding. And, through prayers of friends, I’ve been riding the grace-wave, learning to abide even while anxious and a bit trembly at times.


On Sunday last, Dad, at 92, broke the inevitable hip. He got the titanium ball replacement the very next evening, and is walking slow paces down hospital halls a bit more every day. I went down to LA to stay with mom a few days. I wondered more than once, “Will daddy die this week? He’s certainly old enough. And, how will mom endure his death?”


My college friend, Lizzie, had asked me a few months back: “Are you prepared for your folks’ deaths?” “No,” I replied, “I don’t think I am – even tho they are long past due at their age!”


How does one “prepare?” I don’t know. Maybe you do. I knew I was lifted by grace this week because the trip went well, I was able to encourage and serve mom gracefully, and the kids and Mark survived my being gone. Dad, the incredible optimist, is anxious to get home. His main concern was mom – he kept calling his friends: “Don’t forget Betty.” Sweet.


My main preparation for any day – since we don’t know what any day will hold – is learning to abide in Jesus. Psalm 73:23 states: “I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.” Sounds like abiding to me. And, it sounds mutual: I’m with Him, and He holds onto me – tight. I’m grateful and still growing. Should be a great year.


Father God,

Thank You for friends who lift me to You when I’m weak and trembly. Your counsel is what I need. Thank You for strengthening weak hearts and hips. Help me to abide day in and day out – preparing me as You see fit.

Amen.


No comments: