Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Out Of The Blue


by Sue Donaldson

How great that we have the advantage to communicate quickly and immediately to people all over the world. Last night Bethany was bantering back and forth on email with Jeff D’Jernes – the Wycliffe translator she will be working with in Papua New Guinea this summer. How great that it’s so fast and free!


However, there’s still nothing like the spot of encouragement sent through the old-fashioned US Post Office. Isn’t it amazing when we open the snail- mail box, and in the midst of bills and ads, we come across a handwritten note. A little archaic, I realize, but a lovely piece of stationery – handmade or otherwise – can make someone’s day.


Paul wrote a lot in his day, and one encouraging note he sent to his buddy, Philemon, was a case in point:


“Every time your name comes up in my prayers, I say, ‘Oh, thank You, God!’ I keep hearing of the love and faith you have for the master Jesus, which brims over to other Christians. And I keep praying that this faith we hold in common keeps showing up in the good things we do, and that people recognize Christ in all of it. Friend, you have no idea how good your love makes me feel…” (Philemon 4-7 The Message)



I don’t say this to add guilt to your already full file of guilt – better known as your “good intentions file.” (We all have one – and sometimes I can even find it…) But, my wonderful sister-in-law, Anne, showed me her new filing system and first on the list was her: OOTB file – “Out of the Blue.”


In this file she keeps her note cards, stickers, and ideas to send to a friend and relative – so that they will be blessed with a note– right “out of the blue.” Isn’t that a great idea? And, I know it works because I received a handmade note from Anne which included 3 of her favorite teabags – plus, loving, encouraging words (“Friend, you have no idea how good your love makes me feel…”)


Part of every day needs to include good works and words that refresh the hearts of the saints. Let’s get that OOTB file started – I’ll see you at Staples.


Father,

Help us not to forget to build up each other – get us organized – for Your sake and each others’. May we recognize You in all of it.

Amen.







1 comment:

Bonnie said...

OK...I am on my way home to start my OOTB file. Thanks for the 2x4 across the head reminder. You'll be hearing from me soon.