Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Unfolding of Your Words

by Sue Donaldson

Since I am the last person in SLO to have finally read Safely Home by Randy Alcorn, perhaps you need to be reminded of what the Chinese Christian, Li Quan thought while suffering alone in his prison cell:


“In this cell, stripped of comfort and ease, unable to do what he would like, he was free from distraction. He had only his mind, and what he had put into it. Quan thanked God every hour spent meditating on his Word, which constituted the reservoir from which he now drew daily.”


If I found myself in his place – having only my mind, and what I had put into it—would I find such an overflowing reservoir? I think not. As much as I love and depend on and read God’s river Word, my reservoir is not near full enough. Perhaps Americans are flabby Christians – not “needing” to exercise our minds so much in Scripture since it is so readily available to us. I can pick up a different version of my host of Bibles in every room of our home. But that doesn’t mean it readily flows through my heart at any given moment.


Summer can bring more flab than usual. Our usual study is “on break” for the summer. That’s not a bad thing, but it can mean we are not automatically studying as much. Does that mean less of the Word in our reservoir?


I hope not. You can always check with your local Christian bookstore for some short-term Bible study books that you can do with a friend or neighbor. (A friend helps keep us accountable, you know.)


One study I did years ago (which bears repeating) was to study Psalm 119 – it’s all about the Word. I listed all of the effects of Scripture, all my responsibilities, and all of God’s responsibilities. It made a neat study – all those columns. Time to pour it back into my reservoir, I think.


Here’s a taste: “Your statutes are wonderful; therefore, I obey them. The unfolding of Your Words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.” (Psalm 119: 129,130)


We need light, don’t you think? Let His Words unfold all the more as the summer approaches.


Lord,

Thank You for your Word that never comes to an end. Help us soak it up this summer.

Love, Sue




No comments: