Monday, December 8, 2008

Family

by Peggy Brown

We had a great Thanksgiving! Wayne and I traveled to Seattle to have Thanksgiving with Debbie, Matt, Seth and Bekka Weeks at our daughter Bethany’s little apartment. Bethany invited her boyfriend Chuck, and he and Seth invited their army buddy Tim. I confess that when we left, I wasn’t sure how everything was going to turn out (imagine three 20ish boys deciding to deep fry the Thanksgiving turkey for the first time…it gives one pause!) I figured it would either be great fun or a great disaster! Nine people in a small apartment eating a deep fried turkey and Marie Callender’s sides on paper plates in a living room with very little furniture could be a bit dicey. Well, it WAS great fun! We all were entertained watching Matt, Wayne and “the boys” out the window as they fried the Turkey and baptized the driveway with boiling oil. We also enjoyed eating the fried onion rings, Snicker bars and (not so much) the Twinkies. I guess once the oil is hot, why not try frying everything? The food was delicious, the fellowship sweet. (Thanks Debbi for bringing the folding chirs and games!)

What I loved about the day was the family feel, even though there were a variety of relationships. Some of us were already friends (the Weeks), some were acquaintances (Chuck) and one we met that day when he showed up (Tim); but what we all had in common was our love for Jesus. In a very real way, it felt like we had known one another for a long time.

I thought about how often we are called the family of God and brothers and sisters in Christ in the Bible, so I went to a Concordance and looked up “brothers and sisters in Christ”. Here are just some of the 12 pages of references I found:

Rom. 8:29- For God knew His people in advance, and He chose them to become like His Son, so that His Son would be the firstborn, with many brothers and sisters.

Gal. 6:10- Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone, especially to our Christian brothers and sisters.

I Thes. 1:4- We know that God loves you, dear brothers and sisters, and that He chose you to be His own people.

I Peter 1:22- Now you can have sincere love for each other as brothers and sisters because you were cleansed from your sins when you accepted the truth of the Good News. So see to it that you really do love each other intensely with all your hearts.

1 Peter 5:9- Take a firm stand against (Satan), and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.

I John 3:16- We know what real love is because Christ gave up His life for us. And so we also ought to give up our lives for our Christian brothers and sisters.

Our Thanksgiving experience reminded me that I am related to ALL other believers. Some I know well, some not so well. Maybe there are even some that I’d rather NOT know! But God is quite clear…we are spiritual siblings, He loves us and He wants us to love one another. Love needs time and relationship to grow and be strengthened. That means I have to work at it! Challenged? I am!

God, You have adopted me into Your family. You have given me brothers and sisters to love and live in relationship with. Please teach me to prioritize relationships over busy-ness of life. Amen

3 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

mmm... turkey flavored twinkies! ... jealous!!

Jacquelyn said...

Oh, and isn't it interesting that the whole world over there are "Blood" (capital 'B' )relatives we may never meet this side of Heaven.

Mama Mote said...

Such a thought from Jacquelyn. I will finally meet my stepbrother who died before I was adopted. Wow! What a fun time you had, Peggy! I'm glad you all had the chance to get together like that with B.