Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Good News of Great Joy

by Sue Donaldson

God’s hospitality can be found throughout Scripture. He welcomed us to His heart and home long ago. One of the more jubilant invitations rang out one cold night to a motley band of shepherds:

Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people. . .” (Luke 2:10)

The news was great. It was for all people. And it would bring joy.

This week people are singing, “Joy to the World” – they may even know more than one verse – but do they know joy? Do they know God included them in the invitation – “which will be for all the people” (that’s my favorite line – I like a crowd.)

Joy comes from God. If you are feeling less than joyful this Christmas, come to Him. RSVP ASAP. He’s more than ready to give you Jesus. He said so in John 15 – “These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”

Pastor Tim reminded us yesterday that joy was part of the invitation– “I have come to give you life – abundant life.” (John 10) Sounds joyful to me.

Jesus came as a babe – and that’s the center of our joy.


Dear Father,
Thank You for your gift of Jesus. He is my joy. Fill me with yourself so much so that joy overflows to everyone around me. Amen.

PS
My artist friend Joanie made this wooden wall hanging for me years ago. I had the kids copy it – on paper, not wood – a few years ago as their craft for the Birthday Party for Jesus. Isn’t it great? One of my favorites!



No comments: