Wednesday, December 10, 2008

God At Work

by Debbi Weeks

Romans 8:28 - “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”

Every week at staff meeting the first thing we do is share how we have seen God at work that week. Although He is always at work, sometimes it’s easier to see than others. Such was the case for me this Sunday when God caused several things to come together for me causing me to see a glimpse of Him at work.

I started Sunday morning working on my Bible Study. I was studying about the Bread of the Presence. The connection was made between the amount of flour in the loaf and the double portion of manna given to supply the needs for the daily need and the day of Sabbath rest. The connection was taken further to the double portion being the heritage of the firstborn and then noting that Christ is our firstborn (Romans 8:29). It was fascinating to see the type of Christ in the Bread of the Presence.

Then I went to my Adult Bible Fellowship class where we have been slowly working our way through Hebrews and this particular week we landed on Hebrews 9. Leon Maksoudian was expounding on the text – all about the tabernacle! Hebrews 9:1-2 says, “Now even the first covenant had regulations of divine worship and the earthly sanctuary. For there was a tabernacle prepared, the outer one, in which were the lampstand and the table and the sacred bread; this is called the holy place.” Leon pointed out that the lampstand and the bread were types of Christ. Jesus said, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life" (John 8:12) and “Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.” (John 6:35)

After my ABF, I went to the main worship service where Pastor Tim began a series on the “I Am” statements of Christ. His text was John 6:35-51 titled, “I Am the Bread of Life!” His five main points were 1) Jesus is the Bread for our hunger. 2) Jesus is Bread from heaven. 3) Jesus is Bread for life. 4) Jesus is Bread for the world. 5) Jesus is the Bread to be eaten.

My quiet time, ABF and the worship service - each focusing on the same aspects of Christ! God was definitely at work in my life on Sunday morning reminding me that my daily provision is from Him and that I need to continually feed on Him. I get so excited to think that God is communicating with me and that He repeats Himself until I listen. He works to get my attention and continues until I have understanding. I think I’ll bake some bread and remember my sustenance comes from Christ.

Father God I praise You that You are the Bread of Life.
I confess that I sometimes try to fast and skip feeding on You in my life.
Thank You that You are at work in my life and that You make sure I learn what You have for me.
Please continue to show me glimpses of You.
In Christ’s Name, Amen.


No comments: