Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, to You

by Sue Donaldson


It’s almost time. Ten days and counting. Jesus’ birthday is around the corner. Have you finished shopping yet?

One December I asked my friend, Debbi, to pray that I would know what Jesus wanted for Christmas from me. She was faithful and prayed all month. Then, a week before Christmas, she got the word (before I did, mind you!)

“Sue,” she said, “I know what you are supposed to give Jesus for His birthday this year.”

Before she could finish, I interrupted – “I just gave Him His present – I just served a Christmas luncheon for nine friends. . .”

Debbi ignored me and went on. “You are supposed to give a birthday party for Jesus and invite Bonnie’s entire kindergarten class – and I’ll help.”

That last phrase was key. It was just a few days away, and I didn’t know how or what to do. I ended up inviting all the girls in Bonnie’s class – I don’t do boys – only daughters, you know – and 11 came. One mom called to ask if we’d be reading from the Bible. I assured her we would be, and invited her to come. (We’ve been friends ever since.)

All the girls brought baby gifts – new or gently used – unwrapped – to donate to our local crisis pregnancy center. We potato-stamped brown paper bags as the wrapping. (I’m craft-impaired, but was able to carve out Christmas symbols on potatoes with my paring knife without any undue injury.) Each child blew out a candle on her own piece of birthday cake after singing “Happy Birthday, dear Jesus.” God demonstrated His strength and glory in this last-minute endeavor-- I came down with complete laryngitis, so two good friends ended up running the show and reading the Christmas story.

Bonnie just turned 20. We’ve continued the tradition through 14 years with various twists and turns – including making sure all the guests dressed warmly when we didn’t have heat during the remodel (more like a stable, don’t you think?)

This year, our youngest decided she might be “too old” for this wonderful event – but, she volunteered to run such a party for some other girls in kindergarten and first grade. Her friends will help. We invited 15 or so (only girls, still – I’m not that brave yet for boys, and girls really get into the crafts.) I expect this Thursday afternoon to be filled with all the joy and glitter on the floor that has blessed us through the years. It’s worth the glitter, believe me.

What will you give the Birthday Boy next week? Have you taken a moment to ask Him for His wish list from you? It’s not too late. He’s the perfect giver and will provide all you need to give back to Him. And, you can always ask Deb to pray (if you’re brave enough.)

Here’s a good place to start:

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.” Romans 12:1

Dear Lord,
What would you like for Christmas this year? Help me listen closely so I get it right. May this be Your best birthday yet! Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue! This is awesome! I'm thankful to have been a part of one of your Christmas eve celebrations - and that you let me bake His birthday cake - chocolate with chocolate icing as I recall :) What a great legacy. And huge lifelong blessing to those who get to be a part of it. And yes, I always know when Deb's being praying for me - look out! I love you sisters - Megan

joy said...

Sue, how wonderful! I love that you started that tradition. And, I'm laughing that you don't have a boy party yet. You got me thinking....