Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I HAVE A WEAKNESS (OR PROBABLY MORE THAN ONE)

by Debbi Weeks

I woke up this morning with a rotten cold. Actually I’ve been fighting it off for three or four days. I’ve been doing everything within my power to make sure I didn’t end up with this zinger. This morning I learned the cold won.

Physically, my greatest area of weakness is my chest (I could make quite a few jokes here, but I’ll just let your imagination write your own). If a cold gets into my chest I’m a goner. Ten years ago I even had to have back surgery due to a cold! The doctor told me I ruptured several discs in my back coughing and seven months later I had to have disc removal surgery. It’s important for me to know my physical weakness so that I can do my best to keep from getting really sick.

So it is with my spiritual weaknesses as well. I need to identify and be aware of my spiritual weaknesses for two reasons: first Satan likes to prey upon my weaknesses telling me lies so that I become really spiritually sick. And second, when I recognize my weakness and offer it up to God then He turns my weakness into strength.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 “. . . So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

I’m learning to be thankful for my weaknesses both physical and spiritual because they cast me onto my Father’s lap where I can see His strength in me. Just the same, I hope I get over this cold quickly and can fully celebrate my Savior’s birth!

Father God I praise You that You are omnipotent. You are all powerful in creation and in our lives as individuals.
I confess that I sometimes wallow in my weakness and listen to Satan’s lies.
Thank You that when I am weak, then I am strong because of You.
Please allow me to see the power of Christ working in my weaknesses.
In Christ’s Name, Amen.

1 comment:

joy said...

Debbi, I'm so sorry you're sick. I'll pray for your cold. And thank you for the reminder me of spiritual weaknesses. I tend to forget about them thinking that I'm doing okay and then I forget to lean on Jesus.