Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Who Needs a Ceiling, Anyway?

by Sue Donaldson

Can God really use us the way we are? We look at published authors, speakers, men and women of God and think: “Well, of course God can use them – look at who they are and what they’ve accomplished! I bet they have organized closets, too. . .”

I may not say these thoughts out loud, but I can buy into them at some level. Maybe you do, too. When I decide to focus on my failures – Peggy may call that “navel gazing” – I can’t say “yes” to God’s call on my life. Instead, I’m too busy feeling sorry for myself. I say things like: “Lord, look at the mess I’m in – You don’t really want to use me – I’m sure you can find someone better down the street or down the pew . . . look, that woman’s purse even matches her shoes!”

I’m glad Paul didn’t feel so full of his failures when God claimed him for His own on the road to Damascus. Look what he wrote in Philippians 3: “I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, Who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: by no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward – to Jesus. I’m off and running and I’m not turning back.” (The Message)

No navel gazing for Paul. He was too busy reaching out to Jesus. Don’t you just love that?

Here’s some shots from last Friday’s “Soup’s On” – notice that the ceiling (or, the counters . . .) didn’t get finished before the party started – or after, for that matter. No one seemed to mind – at least, they didn’t say anything. I’m glad God used our house, imperfect and unfinished. He wants to use your’s, too. And, not just your house -- your whole life.


Father,Thanks for using imperfect people like us – and Paul. You are so encouraging. May we be ready and willing to say ‘yes’ to You, no matter how we feel. Help us be “off and running” after Jesus. It’s His birthday, after all. Amen



1 comment:

Lisa Lewis said...

Sue, thanks for consistently showing God's care for hearts and not hearths! It was a lovely time in your welcome home regardless of incomplete pieces! You took care of what matters: people!