Wednesday, December 31, 2008

One Question

by Missy Grant

If you were only able to ask the Lord for one thing this year…..what would it be? I’m serious. Give it some thought. If you had one question, one thought, one desire….what would you ask of the Lord? I have been pondering the Holy Spirit – its role, its relation within the trinity, its work of instruction and intercession in our lives. I had not thought much of the Holy Spirit as simply a gift until I read this by Nancy Guthrie recently,


“And I’ll never forget returning from our honeymoon and heading back to the office—together. On my desk was a sign with my new name, Nancy Guthrie, a gift from my new husband. To me, it was his way of saying, “Things have changed. You are mine. I want everyone to identify you with me.” It was not only a reminder of who I belong to, but of his promises to me as my husband. When you accepted God’s offer of himself, he gave you a gift to serve as a seal of his promises, to identify you as his. He gave you the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit within you reveals not only his ownership but also your security as his child.” (emphasis mine).


John 14:16, 26 says, "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another helper, that He may be with you forever;...but the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."


John 10:28 says, “and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.


If I had one thought or desire to express to the Lord for this year, it would be to experience walking in the gift of the Holy Spirit. Fully recognizing it as a gift of His promises to us – to fully experience His ownership of me and live within the security of being his child – one which can not be snatched from His hand.


Heavenly Father – in weakness we fall. We allow bruising to become belief, often forsaking the very promises you have given us. "Your word is a lamp to our feet and light to our path" May we follow the winding path to the narrow gate and back into your waiting arms. You promised not only to"never leave us or forsake us", but you "draw near to those who call on you". You not only bestowed the gift of eternity at the cost of your son’s life, but you gave us the gift of the Holy Spirit. We praise you Lord! May we sing of your new mercies each and every day. Amen



1 comment:

Katie Lady said...

I think I will be asking God for more of the Spirit's power as well. If in fact I walk in His Spirit, then the other questions on my list will more than likely either get answered or not matter at all!