Friday, December 12, 2008

Joy in Trial

by Kate Hasson

This week we had a fire in our home that has left so much smoke and soot damage that we are no longer able to live there. We need to have professional help to clean the mess, our ceiling replaced, our walls cleaned and repainted, and perhaps the carpets redone. Not to mention all the clothes and linens and furniture that will need to be professionally cleaned also. We have been living at my Mom and Dad’s home since Sunday night and by the mercy of some church friends we will be moving into their Mom’s house sometime this weekend and living there for the next 3 weeks. Our insurance adjuster said that the clean-up will probably take about a month.

The first and second day of this whole ordeal were overwhelming and emotional for me. But since then the Lord has been working in me. Its hard to be so needy, and to be taking time, money, home, food and other things from my parents, not to mention adding much noise and chaos to their once peaceful and clean home. I know many are praying for us because God has given me great peace where my heart was once worried. Instead of worrying about our insurance policies and what will be paid for or not, miraculously I feel peaceful and joyous knowing that God is taking care of everything and that my only job is to live one moment at a time thanking and praising His name.

Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6

So here is my “thankful list”:
I’m thankful:
1. that my house didn’t burn down.
2. that my family is safe.
3. that we can live at my parents house.
4. that this happened at this time of year when all my brothers and sisters are coming home. We all get to live together again!
5. that I get to live in SLO once again.
6. that I’m a stay at home mom and get to take care of my kids during a difficult time.
7. that the Lord is my strength.
8. that there are professionals who can fix things up.
9. that God is teaching me something new through all this.
10. that I get to see Him working in my life.
11. that I get to be with my little niece, and my girls get to be with their little cousin, every day!
12. that now we are so close to Travis’s work we can visit him at lunch time!
And etc. etc. etc…

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4

Thank You, Lord, for the fire You allowed in our home. It has given me such a fresh and beautiful view of Your amazing provision. You are good!

1 comment:

Mama Mote said...

Isn't it amazing what it takes for us to learn lessons from God? Sometimes it just a small trial or sometimes it takes more. I love your "thankful" list.

I'm thankful:
1. that Dan does still have a job at this moment...at least for another month or so.
2. that we are able to stay with Edna and save some money for our NEXT move, wherever that will be.
3. that God is faithful in giving us what we need when we need it.
4. that God is just plain FAITHFUL.
5. that wherever we end up, He can still use us as long as we are willing to be used.
6. that He IS in control.
7. that while Dan is working in LA he has a place to stay - our daughter's.
8. that I will get to spend time with Dan at Christmas even though I have to travel to LA since he can't come home for that week.
And yes...etc., etc., etc.