Thursday, February 26, 2009

by Rebecca Irwin

I have been challenged to seize this season of Lent, which began yesterday on Ash Wednesday. It is a day for SELF-examination. A day people wear a visible mark as a sinner. As I continue my journey to understand where SELF fits into God's economy, I searched for readings and prayers that correlate with the Lenten season.


From a liturgical website, I found 6 readings :


Let your hearts be broken, not your garments torn.

Joel 2:12-18 [12-13]

"But there's also this, it's not too late - God's personal Message! - "Come back to me and really mean it! Come fasting and weeping, sorry for your sins!" Change your life, not just your clothes. Come back to God, your God. And here's why: God is kind and merciful. He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot, This most patient God, extravagant in love, always ready to cancel catastrophe."


Have mercy on us, O Lord, for we have sinned.

Psalm 50:3-6, 12-14, 17

..."The whole cosmos attests to the fairness of this
court, that here God is judge
."


Be reconciled to God...now is the favorable time.

2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2

"God put the wrong
on him who never did anything wrong, so we could be put right with God
."


A pure heart create for me, O God, and give me again the joy of your help

Psalm 50:12,14

"Spread for me a banquet of praise, serve High God a feast of kept promises..."


Harden not your hearts today, but listen to the voice of the Lord

Psalm 94:8

"Well, think again,
you idiots, fools - how long before you get smart
?"




Your Father, who sees all that is done in secret, will reward you.

Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet,
secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there
as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God,
and you will begin to sense his grace
."




OR, from the Common Book of Prayer, you may find another set of readings here : http://www.io.com/~kellywp/YearABC/Lent/AshWed.html


My SELF is a sinner! What these readings reinforced is my need for a Savior! He is a fair Judge who put all my wrongs onto Jesus Christ, who did no wrong. I hope and pray during these five weeks leading up to Easter, the focus will shift from my SELF to God and I will begin to sense his grace as it is written in Matthew.


I borrow this prayer from the Common Book of Prayer :

Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.




No comments: