Tuesday, February 17, 2009

God's Plans

by Sue Donaldson

A favorite passage often quoted are the words of God to Jeremiah – perhaps you love them, too:


’For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.’” (Jeremiah 29:11)


We like to know that God has plans for us, that He’s paying attention, and if we’re in calamity – we like to believe that good will come from it – sooner rather than later. No one likes pain. Brother Lawrence said we don’t need to pray for suffering – it just comes, part of living on earth.

But, God has plans, and they are for us, to give us a future and a hope.


While contemplating a creek near his camping spot, my brother Steve wondered what God had in store for his future. And, since he’s a prolific poet, he wrote the following:


“The water was flowing, endlessly, it seemed, down the waterfall, having somewhere – by God’s plan for all big things and little – to go. And it seemed to me that then and there God spoke to me, by means of that waterfall, telling me that I must keep going, too, for there is indeed someplace for me to go – something yet to do and dare with my life, before it is altogether spent.

Now just watch that waterfall,

Look at its flow;

With no sign of stopping,

Having someplace to go.

As you stand there watching

Now listen to Me:

There’s a lesson to learn here

To set your soul free:

You must keep on moving

And let your life flow

Over life’s rocks

To the place that I show.”

“I’m listening, Lord,

To the wind – and Your voice;

And this is my answer:

‘Your will is my choice.’”

(excerpted from Heading Home by Steve Moore)


Notice that there were rocks. Maybe you feel stuck behind one right now. Ask God to get you over this next challenge and tell Him you’ll trust Him no matter what.


Steve had the right idea. Look to God, trust Him with your life, and choose His way. Now that’s a hopeful future, and a plan that works.


Father,

Thank You that You know exactly what’s going on in my life right now. And, help me to trust You, even if the waterfall seems like it’s damned up somewhere. Your will is what I want. Amen




No comments: