Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What Is Your Passion?

by Sue Donaldson

A local political candidate came to my door last Fall and presented herself for my vote. When she finished, I asked, “So, what’s your passion?”


“My passion? Well, I guess it’s to insure we have good bike paths in San Luis…”

(Peggy Brown probably voted for her – see previous post.)


Now bike paths are important…I guess. But, a passion?


Have you thought about it? We all have a passion – more than one, most likely. You can figure it out by how your heart leaps when you get a chance to do your passion or when you find someone else who loves what you love.


It’s a little different for each person – we’re unique. And, when we live out our God-given passion, God is most glorified. Like a proud parent at a dance recital, our Father puffs out His chest and says to any who will listen, “Look at her! Isn’t she beautiful? I made her to do that, you know. It suits her. And, she’s going to get better and better. Wow! Did you see that?!” (“And God saw that it was good…” – Genesis 1)

I asked a group of girlfriends around my table that very question, “Besides your family, what’s your passion?” It was insightful and entertaining. The joke became: “Well, besides Jesus…my passion is…”


I loved that. “Besides Jesus…” We love Jesus. He’s our first passion and everything else, uniquely ours, stems from that first love.


If you’re wondering just what is your passion, start there, with Jesus. Paul did, over and over.


He is before all things and in Him all things hold together… He is the head…the beginning… so that in everything He might have the supremacy.” Colossians 1:17,18


Those are passionate words: “all” - “in everything” - “supremacy.” Start with Jesus. Is He your all and all? Then, look around and see Who’s proud as punch to be your Daddy!


Dear Father,

Thank you for making me to reflect You and glorify You – uniquely! May I live out of my passion – loving and serving You with abandon. Love, Sue


PS

Besides reading and mentoring a dozen of us grateful girls . . . AND Jesus -- here is Laurie’s passion (which she shares, on occasion)--






2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

Such a timely reminder. Thanks Sue!

Peggy B. said...

If I didn't vote for her, I should have! Seriously, I'm so thankful that God has gifted us all uniquely! And I love your picture that he's proud of us!