Thursday, February 12, 2009

Greetings


by Rebecca Irwin

I have been an observer of introductions and greetings over the last month. The observation began when we watched the concert that took place the night before the Inauguration in front of the Lincoln Memorial. We taped it and watched it the weekend following the events. It was certainly entertaining, but what stuck in my mind was the end, after all the performers and announcers were through, they asked everyone to remain seated while Barack Obama and his family exited. The expressions on the celebrity's faces as they shook his hand and exchanged a few words were notable. Their faces reflected that they were in the presence of someone very important.


In my own life, an example of greetings is my grandfather. He customarily addresses his letters with 'Greetings!'. He often gives a hearty "greetings!" when we speak on the phone as well. It is his signature in my memory. Paul is also known for his greetings. I looked up Romans 16 and I was surprised at how many greetings Paul sends! I counted 28! I was curious about these greetings - why did he make it a point in his letter, and what does verse 16, "greet one another with a holy kiss..." mean to me today? How am I to greet others? I looked on bible.crosswalk.com in several translations with study notes and found some intriguing answers.


The Geneva Study Bible said "He calls that a holy kiss which proceeds from a heart that is full of that holy love." Digging deeper, John Gill's Exposition of the Bible explained "Christian salutation is a wishing all temporal, spiritual, and eternal happiness, to one another; and which, as it should be mutual, should be also hearty and sincere, and this is meant by the "holy kiss"...Christian salutations should not be mere complaisance, or expressed by bare words, and outward gestures and actions, either of the hand or mouth; but that they should spring from real love and true friendship, and be without dissimulation, hearty and sincere."


I would feel such joy to be greeted in that way! I imagine the awe and reverence that I saw in the faces of the performers greeting our new President that evening was an example, a reflection of how I should see other believers. We share the same hope, the same belief, the same Spirit resides within us. We are sealed by Christ. Imagine how I would make others feel if I greeted them with that kind of importance and love! In fact, what might happen if I greeted the cashier at the grocery store that way? Instead of mumbling "Hi," punching in my club card number, waiting for the total and finishing my transaction, I might look her in the eye and greet her like a person who mattered.


The observation continued as I watched the Grammy's last night (again, we taped it). Several times, presenters made the point of saying "It is my greatest honor to present," or "I am pleased to introduce my friend,". I even turned to my husband and said "why are so many people making a point of being buddies?". As I thought about it, that same reverence, that same importance and community was evident there. A respect for those who made history was clearly evident. The awards seemed more reverent. What refreshment reverence brings.


Father, train me to look at others and see what you see. Help me to show reverence and respect to people as I encounter them in my daily walk. Allow me to risk feeling foolish, perhaps, or uncomfortable in order to greet others with enthusiasm and love. Your people are important! They are my family, my friends. May I show them with each greeting that I sincerely see them that way too.




No comments: