Monday, February 16, 2009

Musings on Adoption

by Peggy Brown

Scripture tells us that we are adopted into God’s family at the time of our salvation. Adopt: “to take by choice into a relationship; especially: to take voluntarily (a child of other parents) as one's own child.”


I have been pondering this recently in light of the fact that both of our children are adopted. I think that I have a unique perspective on this precious relationship with God. My prayer is that as you read you will be touched by the enormous love our Father has lavished on us.


Wayne and I had a great desire to have children. We longed to be “family”. When we were unable to have a biological child, I think our desire became even greater. There didn’t seem to be anything more important than having that precious one come into our lives.


When we decided to adopt, we had great anticipation about the child that God would bring us…boy or girl? fussy or calm? What would he/she be like? What would it be like to be a parent? But there was also the anticipation of becoming a family, somehow complete.


What we didn’t anticipate was the waiting! It took many years before our son was born. I must admit that they were LONG years, and at times it seemed like it would never happen. Then came the phone call!! A baby had been born, would we like to come and see? Would we like to adopt it? We had a choice at that point. We could have said no. (Yeah, right!) Sidenote: I was so excited when the caseworker called that I forgot to even ask if it was a boy or girl. We didn’t find out until we got to the hospital!


The moment I held that baby in my arms, he was mine! I was caught hook, line and sinker! Oh, I get a bit weepy just thinking about it. From that moment, everything we had was his; our time, our home, our food (lots of food I found out as the years went by), our money (lots of that too), our property, everything.


Six months later, we went to court and a judge confirmed it. He made us take “vows” affirming that this child was ours in every way that a biological child would be, he was heir to everything, forever.


Seven years later, after almost despairing of hope, another call from a caseworker, “a baby has been born, are you still interested in adopting?” (Note: My first response, albeit unspoken, was “well, duh!!!) This time I did remember to ask if it was a boy or girl! Who’d have believed that when I held that little pink-hatted squirmer in my arms I had the EXACT same reaction as the first time…I was a goner!


Six months later, a judge confirmed it again. This child, too, was ours in every way. She was ours to care for, support and raise. She also was heir to everything, forever.


God, the perfect, eternal parent, has anticipated us, His children, from the beginning of time, He predestined us to be His. Before we ever were, He sent His son as the official adoption declaration. John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Talk about waiting a long time!


He waited for us to be born, to grow and to respond in faith to His great love and sacrifice for us (I wonder if He ever became impatient with the waiting). When we accepted that sacrifice as our own, He adopted us “officially” into His family…heirs to the kingdom, forever. Eph. 1:4-5For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will


It amazes me to think that God feels about me like I feel about my kids! He felt overjoyed beyond words when I arrived into His family! (Remember that there is rejoicing in Heaven at the salvation of a soul?) He feels that tremendous thrill that I felt at the moment each of my children became mine! They were never mine physically, but they have always been mine in my heart! I have always been God’s in His heart.


Wow!



3 comments:

Mama Mote said...

I DO know what you mean, being on the other end of adoption. And you took my verses. I also have verse Eph. 1:6 "So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son." Knowing my parents chose me out of all the kids in the orphanage was special, too. And He placed us in our families PERFECTLY!!! Ryan and B are so blessed to be your kids.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful beyond words, Peggy!

Anonymous said...

Wow indeed! I love your story and I love your insight and I love your story as a perfect mirror of God's story. So amazing. So cool. Thank you for sharing this with us all. Blessings - Megan Boragine :)