Saturday, February 7, 2009

Unreached

by Kate Hasson

I cannot tell the name of the place my parents will be living for the next three months but I can tell you it is far away, within the 10/40 window, and is a land of NO Christian freedom, a land of people who are unreached with the Gospel of Jesus the Messiah. They will be leaving on this Sunday, and returning May 31st. They will be missing the birth of my third daughter, their fourth grandchild.


My heart is aching to think of how long they will be gone for. They have always, ALWAYS been there for me, and now, in a very real way, they won’t be. I’ll miss being with my mom every week, the comfort of her love and support. I’ll miss my dad’s counsel and wisdom and the joy and security of his presence. I’ll be nervous for their safety and health.


Yet here is what my Savior says,

Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And Whoever does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose is, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” Matthew 10:37-39

Again, He says,

So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.Luke 14:33


Mom and Dad are eager and excited to go because the whole reason of this adventure isn’t for their own physical pleasure, it isn’t what they’ve earned now that they are empty-nesters, it isn’t retirement (should there even be such a thing?). They are thrilled to go to a land of want because they are bringing the Good News. As difficult and scary as it may be, bringing Jesus to a land that thirsts for His living water is what will bring them ultimate pleasure. They are giving up routine and physical comfort for the forever salvation of others whom they don’t even know, yet whom God has already called and has loved with an everlasting love.


They have come to see that the American dream of family, health, home, academics, church, security, and religious safety does NOT save. Life doesn’t exist for us to accomplish these good things. Life exists for us to enjoy God and bring others to enjoy Him too!


I cannot shrink back in fear for my kids wellbeing, or my living situation, or even the safety of my own life and let time pass by until I have everything in order or until I feel ready or until my kids are grown, or until I finish... I must, we all must, everyone who professes Christ as Savior must set aside the good, for the greater Good.

He’s coming; He’s coming in the blink of an eye. Are there more unreached? Has everyone heard?


Thank you, Mom and Dad, for your obedience to go. For your transformed passion for the unreached, for expressing the joy Christ has given you for the salvation of His people, and for not hiding back in fear because you’re going against the flow of the American church. It’s frightening and encouraging to see you put your lives totally and completely into His hands and it causes me and I’m sure others to want to do the same. May He bless the labor of your hands. We’re praying for you. Please pray for us.






2 comments:

Lou Ann said...

Thank you Kate, for this beautiful and valuable tribute. It does, in fact, encourage many in their life choices. I have sent this link on to all the kids. This will also be a certain time of growth for you in their absence physically. God Bless You and your family, Lou Ann

Anonymous said...

Kate, we're praying for your folks! May God bless their trip, the people they are ministering to, and may He bless them for being willing servants. (We're also praying for a quick return- Abby misses her Sunday School teacher!) :)