Monday, February 23, 2009

Focusing On the Goal

by Peggy Brown

Wayne & I love bikes! We love bike riding, we love watching bike racing…we pretty much love everything about bikes. So, imagine how excited we were when we read in the paper 3 years ago that there was going to be a prestigious bike ride in California AND that it would be coming through the central coast!


The first year, the Tour of California ended one stage and began the next stage in San Luis. What an opportunity for an up close encounter with those world class riders that we’d been watching in the Tour de France all these years! When the riders came into town, sadly Wayne had to work, so our daughter Bethany and I went to watch them come screaming into town. The next morning when they were taking off again, there was that “work” thing again, so I took Bethany out of school and we went to watch! We were standing at Mission San Luis Obispo, not 2 feet away from the guys on their bikes as they got lined up to start. (The guy by us actually handed me his empty Coke bottle since he couldn’t figure out what else to do with it! We watched the results all week and he finished 2nd to last!).


For those of you not into bike racing, being this close to the riders would be the same as standing on the baseball field when your favorite major league team comes out to start the game, or sitting in the front row during the Academy Awards, or sitting in a chair in the orchestra pit when the Philharmonic comes out to perform…get it?


This year, we went down to Solvang for the day to watch what’s called a time trial. That is where each rider rides one 15 mile circuit alone. They are competing against the clock but of course the fastest time wins. One of the cool things at the time trial is that they don’t restrict the access of the fans, so you can actually wander through the team areas and watch as the riders sit on their training bikes (which are stationary) and warm up before their turn.


I have had several observations over the last 3 years that really came into a clear focus this year. The first observation is how strong and muscular these men are. When you watch them up close you can see the well defined muscles in their legs and arms. It is obvious that they have trained long and hard, specifically for the task of bike riding.


The second observation is that they clearly watch their diets. These men don’t have an ounce of fat on their bodies. I swear they must be about 1% body fat! Their goal is to win races, so they choose not to indulge themselves in a diet that would hinder their riding.


And what is the third observation? These men are focused! When they warm up, despite the noisy crowds 6 deep around them, they sit on that trainer, pedaling fast and hard, seemingly oblivious to their surroundings. People are often calling their names, requesting autographs, etc. but they have their i-pods in their ears and their heads down in concentration on the task at hand.


Are you beginning to see where I am going with all this? Yep, check out these verses:


Philip. 3:14-I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

1 Cor. 9:24-27- “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. And everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; (emphasis mine)


The Christian life is a long and difficult race. The prize ahead of me is of way more importance than anything these riders could obtain! Scripture calls me to press on, to run with endurance in such a way that I may win!


I am challenged by these thoughts:

Am I becoming strong and muscular? Do I exercise my will? Do I choose to be obedient when it’s hard? Am I willing to exercise my spiritual muscles to the point of exhaustion, so that I can go the whole distance? (Bible time and prayer are hard work aren’t they?)


Am I watching my spiritual diet? Do I avoid those things in my life that will hinder me? Do I choose not to indulge myself in those worldly “goodies” that will make me spiritually fat? (inappropriate TV, books, radio, do I gossip….)


Am I focused? Do I have the i-pod of Scripture in my ear so that I don’t get distracted by the world and its values? Do I know how to pedal fast and hard after God? (When was the last time I memorized a verse, sang a hymn or worship song to God, inconvenienced myself for the sake of someone else?)


I am so aware of my shortcomings and my spiritual laziness! But I am also becoming so aware of God’s grace that says to me over and over again:

And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you: for My strength is made perfect in weakness.’ Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me”. 2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV)


He is the giver of second (and third and fourth….) chances!


Father, you know my weakness better than I do, but you still draw me to Yourself! You never get tired of me doing it wrong, You just keep encouraging me to get up and go on. Help me to train myself to become stronger for the race I am running. Thank you that Your power is shown in my weakness! Amen



No comments: