Wednesday, February 4, 2009

God's Good Plan

by Debbi Weeks

I’ve really been “into” World War II lately. After reading, Things We Couldn’t Say, by Diet Eman, (see September 3, 2008 post) I have been fascinated by that slice of history. We recently saw two movies based on true stories of World War II, Valkyrie and Defiance. Valkyrie is based on the 15th assassination attempt by the Nazi’s of Hitler. Defiance is based on a group of Jewish people who escape to live in the forest during the German occupation of Belorussia. Both are astounding stories and I was amazed at the courage of the people depicted in the films.


I couldn’t help but question why God had not allowed the assassination attempt to be successful (or the previous 14 attempts for that matter!). Although Hitler committed suicide just seven months after the attempt that was depicted in Valkyrie, I still couldn’t help but wonder how many lives would have been saved had the SS been disbanded sooner.


There were points in each of these films that I questioned why God didn’t act differently. From that small sliver of one piece of the world, at that one particular moment in history, it didn’t make sense to my little finite mind. Why didn’t God allow something that looked like it would have brought so much good? I wrestled with this question for a little while and then the Spirit reminded me of what I know of God. Isaiah 55:8 and 9 came to mind: “‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the LORD. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’”


I needed to be reminded that God sees the entire world in that moment in time, as well as every moment in time, on an eternal continuum from the beginning to the end. He is the author and the orchestrator of it all. He knows the impact of one set of circumstances on every other set of circumstances. That small slice in time that I saw was just that—a very small slice. And the circumstances that were depicted were just a small part of all that was going on at that time and really, an even smaller part of eternity’s circumstances. Finite me must trust the infinite God. His ways are not my ways. No, His ways are far higher and though I don’t always understand, I can trust and praise Him for His sovereign plan.


Father God, thank You that You are infinite and that You have a plan that is far beyond what our mere finite minds can comprehend.

Please forgive me for questioning your sovereign plan.

Thank You for showing me that what I see is just one small slice of an incredibly big eternity.

Lord, please help me to trust Your plan for yesterday, today and tomorrow.




2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

After watching Valkerie I had those same questions and came up with pretty much the same conclusion. God is good, he has a plan for the universe that he has been executing since he created it, we are but a breath and can only try to glorify God in doing the "good works" we were created to do. I know that sounds like Christian fatalism but I'm sure the view from God's throne is quiet different than ours and I have to trust that believing in an all powerful good God with a good overall plan is more reassuring that believing in no god at all.

Mama Mote said...

And you left work before I could tell you after I told the Admin Staff that we made our decision to move to LA after all. It looks like the best thing to do at this point - God's plans are different than ours. But I'm excited to be starting another season of life, as Noonie told me when I told her (interrupted her Hawaii trip, but it was raining anyway), and hope to get involved down there somehow. Not sure what that will look like, but I'm praying God will use us down there while we are there.