Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Perfect Valentine

by Sue Donaldson

My sister Lori called me from the middle of a snowstorm in Wisconsin to tell me she was going to give a Valentine’s Ladies Brunch. She invited the whole church, naturally- here is her invitation:


You are invited to a Valentine’s Brunch~

Please bring:

A dish- to- pass (Wisconsin for “potluck”) that has something red in it~

A favorite love story to share: movie, book, poem, song, photo~

And, a friend or family member


She expects lots of red jello- it’s Wisconsin. And, being a Moore, she will provide a devotional. She told me she’ll read a favorite children’s story called, Everybody Loves Mr. Hutchinson. When Mr. Hutchinson finds out he’s truly loved, he begins loving others with abandon. Isn’t that a fact? When we feel loved, really and truly, it’s so easy to love another.


Lori said her favorite Scripture on love is the parable of the lost sheep. God is pictured as a Shepherd who drops everything to find the one last sheep. She’ll remind her brunch ladies that if you were the only one, Jesus would have died on the cross. That’s love that’s bigger than a Valentine.


My favorite Valentine-from-God verse is Zephaniah 3:17 ~

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing."


When you think on that one for a bit, it should make you just want to host a red jello party this Saturday. There’s still time. Lori plans to add sun-dried tomatoes to everything. And, if you make it an afternoon tea, chocolate covered cherries will work just fine.


Oswald Chambers said: “Get into the habit of saying, ‘Speak Lord,’ and life will become a romance.” (January 30, My Utmost for His Highest) Sounds just about right for this Saturday.


Happy Valentine’s!


Father God,

Thank You for loving me, delighting in me, saving me and singing over me. When I rest in your love, I can love others better. Show me how to do just that this coming week. Amen.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue, When we met for Bible Study today, Nancy helped me make valentines for the brunch guests. AT the end of the talk I plan to hand out these paper hearts with various "love" verses on them. One of them is Zeph 3;17. (: I will glue choc kisses to them and ask the ladies to turn to someone and share their verse with them. Then, they can both eat their chocolate. Love the jello hearts. Maybe I will break down and buy some jello to go with the chocolate-dipped strawberries! Thanks.