Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Delighting and Enjoying - It's a Gift

by Sue Donaldson

My theme verse for the year is:

John 15:5 – “I am the Vine, you are the branches. If a man abides in Me and I in you, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me, you can do nothing.”

Liz Young showed me a devotional selection on how to abide in Jesus. It’s a gradual process – “up the scale” – from knowing He’s there, to consulting with Him on all my concerns, and, finally – the most intimate – to delighting in and enjoying His person. This process includes a climb, but it’s not a matter of sweat – more, a matter of desire.


How much do you enjoy Jesus? Not His gifts, not His peace, not His assurances – just Himself?


Last night Mark and I had a date. Sitting together, watching a movie (The Soloist,) talking about it afterward (schizophrenia and it’s implications) over Mexican food at Chili Pepper’s (his turn to choose – we go there every other time – he is consistent.) – all that built intimacy and enjoyment. Not just because of the food or the entertainment – but because of the time spent together. Time well-spent, money and energy well-spent.

After 20 years of marriage, intimacy grows. Delight and enjoyment is easier. It’s a gift.


I love Jesus. I want to love Him more, enjoy His person, sit and chew the fat (or, the rice and beans, whatever the case) – just because. Just because. Listening to “Mercy Me” (loudly) in the van helped me do just that today. In fact, I couldn’t sing along without crying – wonder how they do it?


“I can feel Your presence here with me, Suddenly I’m lost within Your beauty,

Caught up in the wonder of Your touch, Here in this moment I surrender to Your love…”


Enjoying and delighting in the person of Jesus. It’s a gift. The best and the biggest.


How’s your enjoyment factor? Delighting and enjoying. I look forward to this year of learning to abide.


I’ll borrow the prayer from Liz’s devotional: “Lord, help me to graduate up the scale from convert, to ambassador, to confidant. To abide in You is to ride the high places of the earth.” Amen. Enjoy your ride.


A little postscript:

I would never had read about that ride to abiding if I hadn’t called Liz for coffee – I actually invited myself to her house. You can’t do that with everyone – you can with Liz. God puts people around us who love to be called and have so much to give. Ask Him if He has someone special in mind for you to call this week. It’s a gift.




1 comment:

Megan Boragine said...

I have totally wondered the same thing! How do these guys sing this beautiful truth without ending curled up on the floor crying! Strength that's not their own for sure. Thank you for these awesome words of wisdom and encouragement and exhortation. I've never really thought of my relationship with Jesus quite like this. I love it - and desire to desire it. Thanks for your weekly writings - I look forward to reading and processing them. xoxoxo Megan.