Friday, April 10, 2009

Made Perfect Through Suffering

by Cindy Frauenheim

Suffering is never a fun topic. I’ve had my little share this week. I say little, because though it was awful, heart-wrenching sorrow, it also coincided with a week of mass shootings, an earthquake, and of course, the imminence of Good Friday. I don’t want to go into the details of my suffering, but instead what it has caused me to do. I cried out to God for comfort and help. I also cried out for answers. I ran to the Word. I think that’s the first time I literally have done that, my gut reaction being I need to drink from the living word. Several psalms filled my heart and mind.

As the days passed this week, sweet encouragement from friends has been a balm. And I was drawn to seek out scripture specifically about suffering. Of course the one about rejoicing in our suffering came up, and I grudgingly read it over and over, thinking I don’t want character that much.

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-5


But hope? I do want that; I need that. Truthfully, I do want perseverance and character, but the promise of hope appeals more to me on an emotional level. Later I came across Hebrews 2:9-11:

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers."

I had never thought about Jesus being made perfect through suffering. Isn’t he just perfect because he is the Son of God? But he had this mission, this purpose in becoming a man: to suffer and die so that we could be reconciled to God and be called brothers with Christ. Perhaps it means that the perfect will of God was not accomplished until Jesus could say, “It is finished.” In any case, God saw this suffering of his son as “fitting”, not a tragic accident. And it was for bringing many sons to glory! That same glory is our hope.

I am more able to embrace the work of suffering in my life after learning that even Jesus was perfected through suffering. I also realize that some of our suffering is the result of sin; either our own, or others, or just the fallen state of creation. Other times suffering can clearly be seen as suffering for the cause of Christ. I trust that God will use both to make me more like Christ, and ultimately to bring glory to himself.

Lord, thank you for your suffering on the cross to make me part of your family forever. Thank you for pursuing me that hard. Help me to see my suffering in light of yours, and according to the promise of hope that you give me. And thank you that the hope you give will not disappoint me.



1 comment:

Peggy B. said...

Thank you for sharing this part of your journey. I was blessed and encouraged as I thought about Christ being perfected throught His suffering and how that realates to the suffering in my life!