Friday, April 24, 2009

Pray for Peace in Jerusalem

by Cindy Frauenheim

"Pray for peace in Jerusalem.
May all who love this city prosper.
O Jerusalem, may there be peace within your walls
and prosperity in your palaces.
For the sake of my family and friends, I will say,
“May you have peace.”
For the sake of the house of the Lord our God,
I will seek what is best for you, O Jerusalem."

Psalm 122:6-9


I hear God asking me to pray for Israel. It is a fairly recent conviction, like in the last few years. Over the past week or so, it has again been on my heart several times. I believe that we as Christians and as the church are called to actively pray for God’s chosen people. Why would I, a middle-aged (ugh) wife and mom living in the United States, be concerned with Israel when I have plenty of other concerns to pray about? Part of this is just the fact that I am getting older, and I think more about the world and where it’s headed – especially for my children. The biggest reason, however, that I am convicted to pray for Israel is found in the Word. The more I study the scriptures, I see glimpses of the overall plan, and how the pieces all fit together. Prophecies for the future and the end times revolve around the nation of Israel. Heaven’s capital is the new Jerusalem – it thrills my heart with anticipation!


Though I was raised in the church, it was never mentioned as far as I can remember. I think that’s pretty common, though I don’t know why. Or maybe I just wasn’t hearing it then? I don’t believe we should pray for Israel because they are better or more deserving than any other nation; it is purely because they are the nation through whom God has chosen to work out his plan of redemption, and whatever happens with Israel affects the rest of humanity. And we have been “grafted in” to that nation through Christ! Pay attention to what is happening in Israel. I am so excited to see how God will work out His-Story through them. Pray for them – for Jews everywhere - to embrace the one true Messiah, Jesus Christ. Know that in the turmoil that surrounds Israel, and affects the rest of the world, God is working and is in complete control. No one knows God’s timing. Don’t be fearful, but be ready, and be prayerful.


Lord, thank you that you have the perfect plan for the redemption of your people, and that you have chosen to use the nation of Israel in a special way. I pray that you will use believers everywhere to pray for Jerusalem, and to both tell and show them the love of Christ. Work in the hearts and minds of the leaders of Israel, and leaders throughout the world to act according to your purposes. Only you can bring peace and salvation, and you will in your perfect timing.



No comments: