Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Shadow Walking


by Missy Grant

I've spent some time immersed in psalm 91 recently..."those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare of the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him....He will shield you with his wings, He will shelter you with his feathers. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. if you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you...the Lord says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. when they call on Me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them. I will satisfy them with a long life and give them my salvation."

A life lesson for me recently is that I am allowed to question the Lord, but I am not allowed to question out of disbelief. Jesus was the everlasting covenant. My belief of that has put me eternally within the needed shelter of the Most High. My belief of the shelter then allows for me to walk in the Lord's shadow - the place that allows me to question (with faith), a place where the Lord reveals who He is to me, a place he protects and encourages me.

I am learning what it means to keep pace with the Lord - when I slow down and allow for my attention to wander, I soon discover I am no longer in His shadow - I am still in His shelter (for that is eternal) - but outside of the shadow is where satan prowls and he seems to like to spend time with me. When I go too fast, I get in front of the Lord. There is no shadow in front of something....you must stay behind someone to be in their shadow. (ponder that awhile…)

I've never been comfortable being a shadow walker....see, I am a lion in personality...we like to lead, not follow. The Lord is spending an enormous amount of time teaching me how to humbly follow by recognizing I am always in His shelter and nothing will ever change that, but I have to keep pace in His shadow....also known as shadow walking. Care to join me?

Gracious God, thank you for the everlasting covenant poured out through the blood of your son. Thank you for rescuing us, protecting us, answering us, honoring us, and satisfying us with your faithful promises. Thank you for walking at a pace in which I can stay in your shadow…sheltered with your wings. We praise your glorious name, amen.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll join you. Let's hold hands, so neither of us lions get out in front!