Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sacrifice


by Rebecca Irwin

I can now freely eat sweets. I no longer have to feel the guilt of breaking my Lenten commitment to abstain from them. Oh, how I missed Oreo cookies and milk shakes! However, I must confess I did give in several times to the temptation. Once, almost savagely, after I passed on dessert at my friend’s, I came home, yanked open the freezer door and ate three scoops of mint-chip ice cream covered in chocolate syrup.

I had the privilege of being included in a Good Friday service last week held in a friend’s home. A very random and eclectic group of people was assembled to eat soup and bread together. After a simple meal, we moved into the living room and sitting in a large circle, we read portions of the gospel account of Jesus’ crucifixion and suffering. At times, our host would break and allow others to tell a story of brokenness or God’s silence in their own lives. We left with a greater anticipation for the joy and victory that Easter Sunday celebrated.

As I reflected on Lent, it struck me that simply giving up sweets for six weeks was at times incredibly hard! My weakness in even keeping this one self-imposed law was time and again revealed. I began to fudge the rules (well, tapioca pudding isn’t really a sweet) or justify my indulgence. It struck me on Easter Sunday that Jesus’ sacrifice was not JUST dying on the cross! His sacrifice for us was made minute-by-minute, day-by-day as he time and again made the choice to be our PERFECT sacrifice! His crucifixion was the culmination of His consistent sacrifice.

Look with me at Hebrews 10:14 (the Message) “It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people. By that single offering, he did everything that needed to be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process.”

And at Hebrews 5:7-9 (ESV) “In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. 9 And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him…

May you stand today all the more amazed at the gift we have been given in eternal salvation!

Thank you Jesus for your perfection! We would have never made it past a day if this was required of us. Only God’ son could have planned the perfect redemption and accomplished it. May we stand in awe of you. Amen

No comments: