Friday, April 17, 2009

Safely Home

by Kate Hasson

For the past few years Travis and I have been enjoying reading to each other in the evenings. Well, really, Travis reads to me while I do my crafts. Somehow it makes my sewing seem much more profitable. Since we got rid of our TV our times together have been much more interactive and sweet and we’ve been able to read some great books together, including the Narnia series and The Heavenly Man, our two favorites so far. Just today, we finished another good one while Travis came home on his lunch break: Safely Home, by Randy Alcorn.


The story is about two men and how their lives cross paths. It reveals much about the Chinese Christian house church and although this story is not entirely true, Alcorn says that it is mostly a collaboration of all that he has seen, heard, and learned of the Christian’s life in China. It’s a story that made us look at our own faith and see how bold and trusting we really want to be.


I come away from this book desiring to have less, so that I can have more of Christ. The Christians written about in this story are incredibly impoverished and literally have nothing. Yet their heart’s passion and faith in Christ are greater than I have ever seen in America. It was even addressed in a few chapters that the wealth of Westerners has become a stumbling block for many Christians and has gotten in the way of their trust, dependence, and reliance upon Christ alone.


I haven’t figured out yet what steps I need to make to change my way of living in this wealth that surrounds me, but I do know that I need to do something. Something that will make “Christ reliance” so essential that I truly won’t be able to survive without Him. I want to want Him as a deer pants for water, as a babe cries for milk, and as a starving man craves food.


So, anyway, all this to say, I love books that get me thinking. Not just frivolous ones that spark a fun and romantic chord in me, (although those are good from time to time), but ones that reach deeply into my soul and cause me to yearn for Christ even more than if I hadn’t read it at all. Do you know what I mean? What good books have you enjoyed lately?




3 comments:

joy said...

I loved this book--it was amazing. Thanks for reminding me about it. I felt the same way--that having multiple Bibles was such a luxury and being able to go to church openly.

Lou Ann said...

Kate I got this for my Dad a few years ago at Christmas. On a visit later, I picked it up and could not put it down until I finished it on my return flight to Ohio. I agree, it was life changing and had an impact on my heart. Oh, to learn to live in the balance as Paul said in Philippians 4 "...I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstnace I have learned the secret of being filled and going humgry, both of having abundance and suffering need." Also want to tell all the contributors that a friend here in Ohio has recently thanked me for sharing this blog with her that has been a source of encouragement and instruction.

Peggy B. said...

Kate, I loved this book as well. I found myself challenged and shaken in my "normal" views. I recommend it as a must read for everyone!