Friday, August 22, 2008

Be Prepared

by Kate Hasson

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."
1 Peter 3:15

Yesterday I had the opportunity of running into an old acquaintance/friend from high school.
He was walking and I offered him a ride to his destination so we could chat for a bit and catch up.
It turned out that since high school life had been pretty rough and at the moment he is now homeless and staying at the shelter in town. I asked him a few more questions and then proceeded to tell him a bit of what I’ve been doing. He remembered that I had gotten married quickly after high school and I told him that we now have two girls, are planning to adopt our third hopefully next month, and have just moved to our first home.

“Well, you just got the picture perfect life.” he said.

“Oh, no. My life is not picture perfect,” I told him, “but I do know Jesus. He makes life bearable.”

He smiled.

“Do you know Jesus?” I asked my friend.

We talked a bit about Him and Christianity, not as much as I would have liked, nor was I as fluent in my thoughts or speech as I would have liked, but we talked none the less, and for that I am thankful. As he was getting out of the car there was so much more I wanted to share with him but words weren’t coming quickly. I wanted to give him something to help him discover the true Jesus who does bear our burdens, and that’s when I spotted my bible. I always keep an extra bible in the car just in case I have some extra time and want to read. (I don’t know if that has ever happened unfortunately!)

I handed it quickly over to him as he was about to leave and said, “Here take this. Will you read it?” It had my maiden name printed on it so I said, “It’s got my name on it, sorry. But....um...I guess that way you’ll remember me.”

He was very thankful for it, said God bless you, closed the door and I drove off.

As I thought about our meeting over and over again I thought of two things.

1. 1 Peter 3:15...Always be prepared to give an answer. ...Always be prepared. ...Always.

2. At the John Piper conference earlier this year, Pipes told us about being prepared and having a bible or pamphlet or one of these neat books he wrote in you car at all times ready to pass out at any given moment. I had loved that idea and had always meant to do that, but I put it off too long.

I was grateful I happened to have my extra bible in the car. But, I want to always be prepared. Chances to share the reason for the Hope that is in us spring up even when we’re not expecting them. Are you prepared?


3 comments:

joy said...

what a great story, kate! how wonderful that you were willing to be used by the Lord when the opportunity presented itself. i've been reading I peter this past week and i just read that scripture verse. thanks for sharing and for the good tips about keeping an extra Bible or pamphlets in the car.

Anonymous said...

super, kate - what a great example you are! he will not forgot your encounter. i need to get my piper booklets in my car, along with some water bottles and granola bars! thanks for your great reminder. xx

Mama Mote said...

What a great encounter. I always hope I will be ready when someone "passes through" my day. Even at my age, I feel like I might not have the right words or will stumble over my words, but I just need to trust God to straighten things out to be understood and memorable. Thanks, Kate. I need pamphlets/Bibles now.