Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Bread of Life – For Eating and Sharing

by Sue Donaldson

Bread gets a lot of attention in Scripture. (I’m trying to ignore it in real life – gained too much weight this summer. It’s a tough thing for me to ignore.)

Jesus claimed to be our very bread. What did He mean?

Bread is the staff of life. He had just fed more than five thousand people with a few loaves so He knew bread was on their minds. Perhaps He also knew that when our tummies are full, it’s easier to listen to truth.

The point is this: Jesus gives life – the only true life.

“For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” (John 6:33)

I can do without a few carbos. I can’t do well without Jesus. The older I get, the more I realize how much I need Him. He said if I fed on Him, I wouldn’t go hungry. (This begs the question: When I’m discontented in my soul, where have I been feeding?)

One more thing: bread is for sharing – He did for the crowds, we can do it with a bread machine or the San Luis Sourdough Outlet.

Here’s my favorite: French Honey Bread (for your bread machine – don’t have one? Easy to find at the Goodwill or Mission Thrift – I’m on my 6th one.)

1 ¼ cup water
1 T. oil
1 T. honey
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
3 cups flour
2 ½ t. yeast

Set it on “Dough Cycle” – take it out, divide in two round loaves. Cover with cloth for 30 minutes. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Serve one to your family and take one to a neighbor. It goes well with a sympathy card, a birthday card, a new home card or just a post-it that says, “I’m thinking of you!”

I find the dough cycle best – makes for a nice crust and you can divide and shape it easily. Oh, once when my mom and I were talking about kids being picky eaters, she commented, “Kids seem to do just fine with bread.” Sounds Biblical, almost.

Dear Lord,
Give me this day my daily bread. Thanks for giving Your life for me and for those I love. Help me to share your bread with others (and to find a used bread machine in good condition.) Amen.

No comments: