Monday, August 25, 2008

Home

by Peggy B.

Debbi Weeks recommended a book a while back entitled Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. I borrowed it on CD to listen to in the car when I drove to San Jose the other day. WOW! It caused me to look again at how I view several different things. One of them is the idea of where my Home is.

I won’t even begin to share the content here, but the focus is on the persecuted Christians of China. (I’ll say here that it is a fictional story.) Anyhow, it has caused me to focus my thinking on my Eternal Home. What I have here is brief and insubstantial. What is waiting for me in Heaven is eternally real.

As I begin to focus on the Real, then the things which seem so important, or difficult, or hurtful really begin to lose their hold on me and I can begin to see my life now in terms of what is REALLY important.

It reminded me of a chorus that I sang as a teenager: (now that I’ve written it down, it seems so old fashioned…oh well, I guess that’s what comes from getting’ on in years!)

This world is not my home, I’m just a-passin’ through.

My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.

The Angels beckon me from Heaven’s open door,

And I can’t feel at home in this world any more.

We all get so caught up in things. We have jobs and families. We have church stuff and school. The list is endless. But in light of our Eternal Home all of those things, though we are encouraged by scripture to do them to the glory of God, need to be done with a heart of accomplishing God’s goals here.

Any time I get my feelings hurt, or feel angry or judgmental or even overwhelmed by circumstances, I want that to be a signal for me that my focus has moved off of my Heavenly Home.

Romans 8:18

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.


Lord, my focus is so temporal. Please grow me into a woman that sees beyond the here and now and into the Eternal. My home is with you, I am just passin’ through this world. I want to have a light grasp here and a secure grip on my Real Home. When my life is shaken and jarred, let people see Heaven in my attitude! Amen


1 comment:

Carrie Haughey said...

Peggy! I love that song! we used to sing it with our family devotionals sometimes when I was growing up! It always makes me stop and think too...