Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sailing

by Missy Grant


I was contemplating sailing yesterday......long story as to why.
Do I date myself when I say the Christopher Cross song 'Sailing' was in my mind all day?
(I just heard you openly laugh at that...my kids said, "who is Christopher Cross?")

Luke 8:22 says, "Now on one of those days Jesus and His disciples got into a boat, and He said to them, 'Let us go over to the other side of the lake'."....Most seem to miss the importance of this very first command as they hurry to Jesus calming the sea. But first He tells them they are going to the other side. They panicked when the storm arose. They forgot that He already told them where they were going. Their hearts would have been full of peace in the storm had they first acknowledged He had already assured them of their destination.

Are you panicking or peaceful today? Did the Lord already tell you where you were going? (think eternity and the heavenly Jerusalem). Listen to His first words - they always bring His peace.

O mighty God, I crave your peace. I too often miss your first words because I am hurrying towards a desired answer in panic. Your peace comes from your grace. I praise you Lord that you forgive my stubborn ways. May our petitions be full of praise. Amen



1 comment:

erika said...

This is the passage that has lately made a huge impact on me... I'm so glad you pointed out that Jesus told us we are going to the other side. I completely missed that.

Someone just recently brought up this passage to me, saying it was used in a sermon they just heard about trials. The pastor said that sometimes trials are like Jonah's trial... we disobey a direct command from our Lord, and when the storm comes, all we can say is "throw me over the side of the boat," because we know it is our fault. Other times, like the passage you brought up, Jesus directly asks us to row to the other side of the lake, and we obey. Jesus knows we will be caught in a storm, but still asks us because He wants to show us that He alone is able to save...Not our rowing!

Now I can finish the analogy with, ...Jesus already said we are going to the other side. He will get us there :)