Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Reasons to Come to Bible Study

by Sue Donaldson

In my former working-fulltime, single life, I longed to attend Women’s Bible Study. It seemed so luxurious to take a couple of hours out during the day to meet with other women and soak in God’s Word.

Finally, I got married. Two weeks in Maui, then our first Sunday as a married couple, I heard the announcement: the new quarter of Women’s Bible Study was beginning Tuesday. I went—I needed girlfriends. This was a new town, a new church, a new life.

That was over twenty years ago. I missed one quarter because Bonnie was a noisy nurser.

To be honest, I haven’t always wanted to go. In fact, I reconsider every year – open to new ways to use my Thursday mornings. It was challenging (to say the least) to attend with babies, toddlers, kindergarten schedules, and part-time work schedules. (yada, yada, yada. . .)

There are always reasons not to go – I may even use one someday.

Here are some reasons to go, anyway:

1. To get to know women you have gone to church with for years but didn’t even know their names.

2. To share your prayer needs in a small group for 9 months.

3. To hear how God is working and has worked in others’ lives—miracles are hidden in everyone’s journey!

4. To not just read your Bible, but study deeper down through its many layers.

5. To make sure you read your Bible – accountability is a beautiful and necessary thing.

6. To pray for new and old friends.

7. To see that you are not alone in your struggles.

8. To see how God’s Word applies to your life right now in a big way.

9. To get to know older women (who don’t seem so old once you do get to know them) – they are wise and gracious, and have not just fallen off the turnip truck, as my mother would say.

10. To get to know younger women (they are smart and beautiful and can teach you much.)

11. To feel a greater part of your church family.

12. To learn what your spiritual gifts are and use them (they get better with use.)

13. To exercise the fruit of the Spirit (always helpful in a group setting.)

14. To make yourself vulnerable to the Holy Spirit’s work in your life through another person.

15. To allow others to see how God has worked in your life – you don’t just need them, they need to know you. You bring your own flavor to the table.

I know circumstances can disallow your attending. An evening study may work better in your lifestyle.

But, we can usually make something happen that we want to make happen – we’re smart and strong and motivated women, after all – and we have a big God Who listens to our heart’s desires. (We know how to “shake and make happen” as well as “shake and bake.”)

If you think I’m stepping where I shouldn’t be, at least ask yourself these questions (and you don’t need to tell me your answers):

1. Why don’t I want to go to Women’s Bible Study?

2. Does God want me to go?

3. Where else in my life am I getting regular fellowship with women who are different from myself? Older than myself? Younger than myself?

4. Do I need accountability in the Word?

5. Does someone there need my friendship? Will I take the risk, for the sake of the Kingdom?

6. Am I willing to pray about it? (He could say “No, it’s not for you this year.”-- there is no risk with God.)

I have to admit, number 3 above is my favorite – we need each other, ladies, and often we need people that we wouldn’t necessarily choose. And, they need us.

Pray about it. I’m on vacation, so you can get over being mad at me while I’m gone. I’ll be happy to pray about it with you when we get back.

Proverbs 27:17 – “As iron sharpens iron, so one (wo)man sharpens another.”

Today’s prayer is an obvious one:

Lord, do you want me to go to Women’s Bible Study? If so, help me to want to go. If so, help me to go even if I don’t want to. If so, make it happen (You actually are the Shaker and Maker.) Can’t wait. Should be good if it’s where you’re leading me! Amen and amen.”




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All those reasons make me want to come even more, Sue-thanks!!

joy said...

oh, sue, you sure like the stir the pot! :) what good questions you ask. and, i do love that you encourage friendships of all ages. sometimes i feel that people limit their friendships to people only of their stage and age and they miss out on the many blessings of befriending those older and younger.

suedonaldson said...

Amen to that, Joy. That's what I like to ask: Who are you mentoring? and Who is mentoring you?
We can gain so much from both directions, simultaneously, and Bible Study provides a great avenue for both.

Unknown said...

sue!!!!

you are awesome and i LOVE each and every reason. i love learning from other women and knowing that we don't need to walk alone in our faith. God calls us to encourage and love one another. what better way to do it then to dive right in together!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

kris