Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bible Study - What Was Your Response?

by Missy Grant

“Do you think it is written too strongly? It is lengthy, not always good for a blog.”
My reply was, “Nope, it is well written. I would have hit harder. Thanks for writing it.”

Those words were part of an email discussion I was having with one of our gifted blog contributors. Sue, wrote a few weeks ago a rather detailed listing of the reasons to attend bible study. How did her post sit with you? Were you cheering or jeering at the end of it? More importantly, did you ask the questions at the end of the post? What did the Lord say to you? Do you remember her final question? I’ll refresh your memory….

"Am I willing to pray about it? (He could say ‘No, it’s not for you this year’—there is no risk with God.)"

I don’t believe in over committing --A phrase which has become synonymous with a woman’s activities. I believe a no is a no and it is a word which should be used more often (always filled with grace!). That being said, I also see women making choices for every activity, hobby, and friendly gathering available and then claiming too full of a schedule when the Lord puts Himself in front of them. Gathering together is commanded in scripture. Hebrews 10: 24-25 says, “and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

I was told this phrase once…do not prioritize your schedule, but schedule your priorities. In other words, don’t take your huge list of life activities and try to jockey them against each other and adjust and push and shove to make it work. Take that which is most important and schedule it. Of the items left – consider saying no. My challenge to you is to schedule your priorities and yes I am being so bold to say time spent with other believers in His word is a priority. Which list is Ladies Bible Study on in your life?

Ask yourself this question. Are you forsaking gathering regularly with a community of believers under His word which is for the purpose of shifting our gaze from us to Him? A time when our children are cared for so we can feel the Lord’s breath on our cheek as He speaks to us. A time when women who are older and younger than we are can sit shoulder to shoulder – knee to knee—hand to hand and worship Him. A time when we can share the aches of life, the joys of victory, the depth of thought. A time when we can laugh, cry, or just sit quietly.

It is easy in any season of life to fabricate reasons to do or not do something. Ouch…it is ok….you can grumble at me for that comment. But before you do, consider this. When was the last time you bowed to the Lord and said, “…not my will Lord, but yours…”

O Mighty Lord, you are the Word of Life. I want to honor you with my activities. I want my yes to be your yes. I want my no to be a prayerfully considered no. Allow me to rest in your decision for my activities. Help me to trust your provision for my emotional, spiritual, and fellowship needs. Lord, I praise you that I live in a community where bible study is available to me. We praise your precious name. Amen.


1 comment:

joy said...

ouch! your message stings me today--in a much needed good way. i will sincerely pray. thank you.