Monday, October 6, 2008

Remember

by Peggy Brown Those of you who know me, know that I have been drawn to some of the tradition and heritage of the Jewish faith, having been introduced to them when I married into Wayne’s family. (His maternal side is Jewish.) One of the traditions that I have observed and explored just a bit is the tradition of hanging a mezuzah.

The mezuzah (pronounced ma zuh’ za) is a parchment inscribed by hand with two portions of Scripture. It is stored in a protective case and hung on the doorposts of Jewish homes. The picture you see is the mezuzah case that Wayne’s aunt sent us with the scroll next to it.
I love this idea! I don’t love it because I think the scripture is a magic charm, or that it is especially spiritual. I love it because it becomes I see it as a tangible reminder of God. Every time I walk into my house, I will be reminded of God’s presence with and His love for me. I found this quote on a Jewish website describing the “What, Why and How of Mezuzot”.
“The Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4-9) begins with "Hear O Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One." The Shema reminds us that God is always present in our lives, and that we should keep God's words constantly in our minds and in our hearts. The Shema tells us that one way to do this is by writing them on the doorposts of our house.”

The 2 scriptures that are written on the scroll are:
Deut. 6:4-9
“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. [6] And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; [7] and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. [8] And you shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. [9] And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”

Deut. 11:13-21
"And it shall come about, if you listen obediently to my commandments which I am commanding you today, to love the Lord your God and to serve Him with all your heart and all your soul, [14] that He will give the rain for your land in its season, the early and late rain, that you may gather in your grain and your new wine and your oil. [15] And He will give grass in your fields for your cattle, and you shall eat and be satisfied. [16] Beware, lest your hearts be deceived and you turn away and serve other gods and worship them. [17] Or the anger of the Lord will be kindled against you, and He will shut up the heavens so that there will be no rain and the ground will not yield its fruit; and you will perish quickly from the good land which the Lord is giving you.
[18] You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. [19] And you shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up. [20] And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, [21] so that your days and the days of your sons may be multiplied on the land which the Lord swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens remain above the earth.”


What are we to remember? The Lord…that He is our God, that He is One, that we are to love Him with all of our hearts. We are to remember to listen, obey and serve with all our heart and soul and teach His commands to our children.

Are you like me in that your days get so busy with “life” that you need to be reminded? What could be reminders to us? How ‘bout scripture verses on cards on your mirror? (are you getting tired of me suggesting that?) I have a plaque hanging by my kitchen sink that my aunt gave me years ago with Prov. 3:5-6 on it. Anything with a “God” connection will work…a reminder that someone is praying for you or that God has blessed you in your life or answered a prayer. I know many people who keep praise music playing in the background in their homes. It is simply something that triggers your mind to remember that you belong to God, and He belongs to you!
I have a necklace with a gold heart on it that Wayne gave me for my birthday one year. When he travels away from home, I wear the necklace because it is a physical reminder of his love for me. When I see it or touch it, I feel close to him. (I know sappy hm?) I don’t think my relationship with God should be different…how much more blessed am I to have things around me that make me think of Him and be reminded that He loves me!

God, You are my God. I want to be faithful to walk in Your ways. I am so easily distracted by everything around me. Use these small reminders in my life to re-focus my mind and heart on You. I praise You for Your faithfulness. Amen

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Peggy,
Thank you for this wonderful reminder of God's continual desire for each of us. He wants us to think of him as we go about our minutes and days, and was especially creative by reminding his people, Israel, as they walked their journey by faith. You've reminded me again, how precious the O.T. Tabernacle is to us, and how God desires us to know Him well. His character, His ways, the depth of His love & the gift of His Son from the very beginning,... So that we would realize His great love for us. God is good all the time!