Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Woohoo! I'm a Grandma, again...

by Debbi Weeks

I just became a grandma again – this is my third! I know, I look much too young to be a grandma (thank you for the compliment!) – but on Saturday, September 27th, Joshua David was born. I’m going to meet him face-to-face this coming weekend. I’m so excited; I can hardly stand it!

What makes the fact that I am a grandma all the more unusual is the fact that neither of my children is married or have children. You see, I’ve become a grandma by adoption. I had the pleasure of mentoring/discipling/investing in/loving on a young woman that God placed in my life eight years ago. Truthfully, it was an easy “assignment.” We just spent time together. I showed her my life and answered her questions – and often she answered mine! She’s become as a daughter to me. From that relationship I have been adopted as her children’s grandma. What a blessing!

I, too, had the pleasure of being taught by an older woman. My children adopted her as their “Auntie” - maybe it was really she who adopted them, but it really doesn’t matter; it has been a wonderful relationship all around! In following the Lord’s instruction given in Titus 2:3-5, we have all benefited. God always has our best interests in mind!

Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God.”(NLT)

My challenge to you is to follow the Lord’s instruction. If you are a younger woman, pray and ask the Lord for a woman you can learn from. If you’re an older woman, look around, pray about investing your life in a younger woman. Younger or older, you will be blessed.
Oh, and I’d love it if you told me Joshua David looks like his grandma!

Father God I praise You for providing for us mentors to encourage us along Your path.
I confess that sometimes I’m too self-focused to look around to the younger women that I might be a blessing to. Thank You for gifting me with younger and older women for me to be blessed.
Please use me in the lives of younger women to encourage them to be obedient to Your Word.
In Christ’s Name, Amen
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS, GRANDMA!!! What a privilege it is for you to be able to be such a blessing in that young woman's life and then to be able to also bless her children!!! Thank you for sharing your joy!!! Linda

joy said...

congratulations, debbi! how wonderful that they have another boy to add to the mix. how lucky she is to have you as her "mother."