Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Staying Connected, For Heaven's Sake

by Sue Donaldson

I saw a sign in front of a house that read: “Club 24-7.”

I almost stopped. I was sure it must be a support group for mothers– although no mother would actually have the time to stop and be in a club . . .

Most women know that no matter what season of life we’re in, we need each other. My friend who just had her 3rd boy – all under 5 – was telling me how tired she was. I told her I could relate to her – I wasn’t nursing anymore, but I was still losing sleep waiting for one in particular to meet her curfew every night – it’s exhausting. (At least she knew her kids were in the next room!)

Most women know the more intentional we are about staying connected to others –with friends who can listen and pray and cry and laugh and eat with us - the better women we’ll be.

God doesn’t mean for us to journey alone. (I just called Ceslie to stop by for leftovers—soup tastes better the next day, anyway.)

Who can you journey with today – to make your load easier or maybe someone else’s? God loves connectedness – He made Himself a Trinity, after all.

Proverbs 17:17“Friends love at all times; they are born for times of adversity.”

Lord,
Thank you for the people in my life. Show me how to connect better to them. Help me make that call—to give and receive Your love. Amen.

PS I’m thinking of beginning an Every-Friday-Stop-for-Soup-Lunch – what do you think? Pick a Friday and we’ll come to your home. (or Wednesday?)

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Love this, Sue. Have been "busy" with two friends in particular who seem to leave me feeling quite "dry." I feel almost like I'm the mother of two teenage girls again. This blog was a real encouragement to me today and confirms what I have been encouraging these two to practice. Ahhh, and those teens that push the curfew button to the max. This too shall pass. Stay firm and use those late nights for some mom/daughter bonding. They always seem to have the most to talk about when they are on their "second wind." ;)