Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thirsty

by Sue Donaldson

"Don't wait for a desert before you enjoy water."

I'm rarely enthused about water--unless, of course, I can't have any.

At the entrance of the USC football game last week, a nice gentleman told us we could not take our water bottles into the stadium. Did he want us to buy his water ($4.00) or his lemonade ($6.00)?

All of a sudden, we became incredibly thirsty--even before the first quarter was over. We handed over the money--it didn't matter how much. We were desperate (or, crazy.)

David thirsted after God--his body actually longed for Him. He was in a desert-- it reminded him how his soul felt. There were no expensive vendors. Even if there were, he wanted God, period. Nothing less. He was desperate. Only God would satisfy; and he knew it.

What makes me desperate? I don't want to wait for a soul-desert to drink from the Living Water -- much better to have the drip-system, don't you think?

For some reason, I dry up.

I become that dry and thirsty land - usually because I am too busy, period. Too much on my plate (platter?), moving from one task to the next without a pause -- no margin, no rest. Why do I wait for a desert before learning to enjoy water? Too busy doing instead of being.

God waits at the gate with a dipper-full of water (no charge. . .)

Do I stop long enough to take a drink? Sometimes.

In case this is your first pause of your day - here's a sip:

"O, God, my soul thirsts for You in a dry and weary land where there is no water. . .because Your love is better than life, my lips will praise you . . .my soul will be satisfied . . ." Psalm 63: 1,3,5-- (read the whole Psalm to fill your cup.)

Father God,
My canteen is running low. I want to want you more. Please fill me up once again, and help me clear off this crowded platter! Amen.

No comments: