Thursday, October 30, 2008

Words to Meditate (or Chew) On

by Rebecca Irwin

In Daily Light the other morning, I read : "Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart." Jeremiah 15:16. I love that image! When my Jack does not want to eat his dinner, he finds a way to chew a single piece of meat for minutes. As I watched him ruminate on his meal, it gave me a visual, though not nearly as poetic as Jeremiah's, of chewing on words. Not devouring them like a hamburger meal from the fast food window, but savoring words like a rare treat.

"I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food. I delight to do your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart". Job 23:12 In my journey into the Word, I have found I hunger to return home from delivering the boys to school and devour some more of these letters and Proverbs. I have a taste for what Job described. My heart finds peace within the rest of my day if I can eat a breakfast of truth.

One way I have found to chew on the Word is to repeat a portion over again and contemplate what it means. I picture my friend, who is an excellent cook, tasting a new dish. She slowly slides the fork from her mouth and moves the food around as she chews it ever so slowly, and then declares the spices she encountered. It always amazes me what she can discover with one taste. In the same way, as I have thought about a passage and moved it around in my mind, it's flavors are revealed and life is seasoned with it's truth.

Lord, we pray that the Psalmist's words would be our own declaration today : "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb." Ps 19:8,9 May we savor your words and allow them to be the spice of our lives. Amen.

No comments: