Thursday, October 2, 2008

What Am I Seeking

by Cindy Frauenheim

There’s lots of talk these days about “seekers” and seeker-friendly churches, and I know some people that are genuinely seeking God, even though they have not yet embraced the gospel. But we are all commanded to seek God. About a month ago, God brought that to my attention (in triplicate, as he often does when wanting to get my attention) in the well-known verses that speak of seeking him.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33

"But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you.” Luke 12:31

I have been pondering these, praying about them, and even looking up commentaries on them, which usually take me to the various opinions and definitions concerning what exactly IS the “kingdom of heaven”? I keep being nudged, however, by the holy spirit not to get bogged down by knowing exactly what all the possible meanings are, but rather to keep my focus on him, and to keep asking him, “What is your kingdom for me today?” How does seeking that change my focus or my priorities for each day and even the little decisions? And seeking his righteousness, I think, does not mean striving to achieve righteousness so that he will give me “all things”, but rather to thirst after Christ. Christ is the righteousness of God, and through Christ we gain his righteousness.

Some days can be marked with a general sense of duty, dryness, and even a nagging discouragement with no obvious source. That’s when I find that I have not been seeking after what he has told me to! I am usually seeking after my own little kingdom and worries and trying to complete my own list, and I’m discouraged to find that does not bring much fulfillment or joy. It’s important to note the context of these verses. In Matthew Jesus is telling us not to worry about all the stuff we need and what we will do tomorrow. In Luke he tells us how well our Father knows us and cares for us. He is reassuring us that he will take care of all these things that we fret about if we will only seek him first. Even in the very next verse he says:

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.” Luke 12:32

So it’s clear that what we are told to seek, even that he will give us! It’s not about us seeking it hard enough to claim it. It’s all about who (or what) am I seeking as the supplier of my needs. This same passage in Luke talks about our hearts being where our treasure is; it’s about where we put our trust.

Father, thank you for so tenderly and thoroughly caring for me. Thank you for your promises that you will give all that I need. Help me not to look to myself, to other people, to money or possessions, or to anything else that I might depend upon. Show me daily how to seek your kingdom and your righteousness in every aspect of my life, and to rest free of worry in your wonderful promises. And help me; remind me, to go to you first.

No comments: