Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What I Don't Deserve

by Debbi Weeks

Titus 3:4-7

“But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.”

I’ve heard God’s justice, mercy and grace described by using this little story:

A little boy was disobedient requiring his dad to give him a spanking. The dad took his son to his bedroom to receive his chastisement. When they got to the room the dad explained, “I’m going to give you the spanking for the offense to show you God’s justice, but I’m only going to give you two swats instead of the four you deserved to show you God’s mercy, and then I’m going to take you out for an ice cream cone to show you God’s grace.”

Reminds me of the chorus from a song, “A Real Good Thing,” sung by the Christian band, the Newsboys: “When we don't get what we deserve, that's a real good thing; when we get what we don't deserve, that's a real good thing.” We deserve hell, but God’s mercy has saved us from eternal separation from Him. We don’t deserve eternal life, but God’s grace gives us what we don’t deserve!

I like that story and chorus. They are simple enough for my peri-menopausal brain to grasp and remember the meaning of God’s justice, mercy and grace.

I have received more of God’s grace than I deserve, but then I guess that’s the definition of grace, getting what I don’t deserve. First and foremost I have been graced with my salvation, but grace includes even more than just my salvation. I have received God's unmerited favor in many areas. At first glance, some of the things I have been given don't particularly look like favor, but the truth is, I have been graced with much and they are His favor.

Check out a few things on my graced list:

God has graced me with forgiveness.

He has graced me with the cross (see how that doesn't look favorable?)

God has graced me with belief.

He has graced me with eternal life.

God has graced me with my husband.

He has graced me with my family.

God has graced me with health and He has graced me with illness.

He has graced me with friends and He has graced me with friends that love me enough to tell me the truth (even when that hurts).

The list of how God has graced my life goes on and on and on. It is a worthy task to write out the list (it grows longer every day); it evokes a grateful heart. Each display of unmerited favor that God has given me is for my benefit. He uses it to make me more like Christ - now that's unmerited favor! What's on your "graced" list? Think about it, write it down - it can change your focus and make you truly thankful for all that God has done.

Romans 5:6-11

“When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation. For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.”

Father God I praise You that You are totally just, completely merciful and full of grace for us Your creation. I confess I often take Your mercy and grace for granted, not appreciating all that You spare me from and all that You freely give me. Thank You for gracing me with grace upon grace. Please give me eyes to see Your justice, mercy and grace daily in my life.

In Christ’s Name, Amen.

No comments: