Thursday, October 9, 2008

the Word

by Rebecca Irwin


What are the power of words? Like tributaries that flow into a great river, many things contributed to my contemplation of this question. My two sons recounted a Sunday School lesson on God's creation, and with the proper shock and awe they said, "God created by speaking words!". Later, I received an email about John Piper's Conference titled "The Power of Words and the Wonder of God". I certainly don't want to claim his thoughts as my own - please explore his exposition on this topic here Desiring God. A third stream of thought came when I was reading "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw. Certainly, I pondered, their moral compass and convictions were amazing, but who raised this great generation? How did they instill these characteristics in their children?

As I now have three hours kid-free each morning, I have the great hunger and privilege to use some of that time to really study and read books that have visibly gathered dust until now. I am beginning to realize that unlike the greatest generation, I will confess I have mistaken access to the Word as knowledge of the Word. I began to think on all the recent "natural" and war-time tragedies and wondered - if everything was taken from me, would I still know God's Word? Have I hidden it in my heart? Can I recount His promises to my sons, to my friends, to my community? In my very amateur observation, perhaps one thing that made the "greatest" generation so great was that the truth was so instilled in their heart, soul and mind that it navigated their decisions.

The river of thought was this - I must make it my daily pleasure to know the WORD. For in recounting this, I can face any obstacle. If my mind turns down a path that is destructive, it is countered with "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." If I lose hope in this crumbling economy I recall, "But store your treasures in heaven where they cannot be destroyed by moths or rust and where thieves cannot break in and steal them." When not only my circumstances, but those of my dear friends or family around me feel like a great burden and threaten to snuff out my hope, I can remember, "I find rest in God; only he gives me hope. He is my rock and my salvation. He is my defender; I will not be defeated.". I recently read this phrase "I saw her rise above it and fasten her thoughts on the Word of God."

My Prayer :

Great God who made the earth with words, it astounds me that you would look down and choose to be gracious and loving to me. May I respond to your love with a desire to know you more. May I diligently read the gift of your Word, that I can so easily access. Fill me with gratitude for this collection of letters and stories, translated in my language long ago. I thank you that it is living and active. May your Spirit stir within me a hunger and thirst for your Word. May your words be written on the tablet of my heart.

2 comments:

suedonaldson said...

Powerful, becky! I will since God's power in His Word and words better and deeper today because of your's.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, God used your words to touch my spirit and encourage me today. I too need to be more in The Word and hide it's words in my heart. Thanks for writing!