Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Come" - - my favorite word

by Sue Donaldson

Awhile ago, I woke up feeling frustrated about the remodel (which means I was mad at my husband); I was frustrated at my daughter in the curfew interpretation area (a brilliant child, otherwise . . .) and, I hadn’t gotten a lot of sleep (never a good thing.)

But, being morning, I sat down with my coffee and read one phrase from Matthew 11:28 – Jesus said, “Come unto Me.”

So I did. I came. I gave Him all my thoughts (some angry, some disgruntled, some self-righteous) -- and feelings (some irrational, some fearful, some self-pitying.) Oh, and my head hurt (He got that, too.) I laid everything at His feet. (He did say “come,” right?)

It made all the difference.

I’ve heard that verse all my life. But I needed the reminder to come to Him. Habits remind us – and, He gave me rest. He released me from myself for the rest of the day. It was almost a physical transition of my burdens onto Him.

And I was able to share it with two friends later that morning who also needed to come to Jesus.

We don’t value habits for habits sake – but for how God uses them to draw us closer to Him. Come to Him. That’s a habit you don’t want to pass up.

Lord Jesus,
Thank you for that great invitation that You gave so many years ago. I want to RSVP right now and come to You. There—that’s better. Amen
.

PS Now, about that remodel. . .




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I needed that today. I've been told by my teenage children that it seems I'm "frustrated" all the time (very observant kids!) And if I'm honest with myself, I realize that they are right. I forget that He cares about EVERYTHING that's going on in my life, not just the big stuff. Thanks for the reminder that He wants to hear from us, otherwise why would he have said "Come"?

Bonnie said...

Wishing we were closer so I could come "feel better" at your house. We women sure do spend way too much time frustrated with everything we can't control, don't we? I should have checked this site before leaving this morning, but God knew I would need it now. You are a gem, my friend. Love you and love God more for putting you in my life.